IGNORED

what do you think, job issue

Cinderella

the way things have gone for us the last year, why shouldnt it continue???:crying:

I'm torn as to what to do about my job.

we were gone to Ohio for Dales dads funeral upon my return home I knew I was scheduled to work friday and sunday. Knowing that I had saturday off Dale accepted work for saturday. I go inot work friday afternoon and see that she had put me on the schedule for saturday. I asked her when she did this and she explained that since the new hire didnt work out ( show up) she had to put me on. Well I explained to her i could not work because Dale had to work and I do not have a babysitter. She ( the manager)asked me when he would get off so maybe I could come in later. I didnt know what time, we never know what time when he works saturdays but usually its 10 - 8. It would be no use for me to come in that late as my shift would end at 10:30. She said that she had had to work for some others so she guessed she could work for me also. This is where the conversation ended. Well guess what.....she didnt show up for the shift saturday.......neither of us did. But guess who is getting blamed for it? As soon as I heard what had happened I tried to call her, both her cell and home...she wouldnt answer. I left a message. I called the assistant manager and talked with her. She told me the manager took me off the schedule and she ( the manager)wouldnt talk to me til monday , when she was back on her regular schedule!!!

So I called the manager monday and she pretty much layed blame totally on me for what happened. I appologized and said obvioulsy it was miscommunication.she tried to tell me the last thing said between us was what time does dale get off so maybe you can come in late....and since no more was said, she figured i was just going to come in.

She appears to not be taking any responsibilty for what happened , which really upsets me. It was obviously a miscommunication and I have admitted to my share of it and appologized to her and to the person who had to come in and cover the shift.

On our phone conversation she said she would talk to the District manager and tell him we had spoken and see what he wants to do. Well I havent heard anything back.

I contacted the owner and let him know what had happened and how I feel im being treated unfairly....the general manager them contacted me and said she wants to get this straightened out between us that maybe I should go talk to the manager and she would come also if I wanted her to.

I'm so frustrated, I have always worked when asked to, helped out by staying over some hours into the next shift when someone couldnt come in, worked overnights to train a new person....i have missed one day in the last year, other than the time i had to take off for the funeral, always busted my butt for them ( in fact I was in for a raise)

This is a new manager who has been there for 1 1/2 months now and I have gotten along fine with her, no problems til now.

We do have some other issues going on about me switching back to overnights because of Dales schedule now, which I was told I could have because the night guy was going to be transfering to another store to be assistant manager, well some probs have come up with that and we dont know if he is leaving or staying now. Because of this thinking i was going to overnights I turned down my chance for the after school program for haylie that ive been trying to get inot since school started, I told them to give it to the next person waiting because i would be going to overnights. So now I have no child care for afterschool so I cant work the shift i was on. What a mess. I have even agreed to cut my number of days down for a while and take the 2 overnights available and wait to see what happens with the other guy transferring.

sorry about the rambling but im so frustrated, cant afford to be without a job.and really dont know if I want to go back there now.........

Cindy,

When you get the opportunity to talk to the manager, review how, because you cared, you tried to get in contact with the other employee about the mixup. Also, remind them in detail about your work ethic/history with them...as you stated it here. Also, try to stay out of the personal and focus on the problem. A good reliable employee is not easy to find and if those managers have any gumption, they'll know this.

When you get past this issue, and you continue to have frustrations with the job, start looking. It is always easier to find a job when you have one.

Good luck! :thumbsup2:

This probably won't provide you with much direction on this but if you don't mind, I'd like to share some of my thoughts.

First of all, one of the things I've learned over the years and working for many different companies and bosses is this... no matter how much "extra" you give ... they will only remember when you screw up. When you give extra to try and impress the "boss", are you being paid? In many cases, we do these little extra things, work longer to "finish up", take the night deposit and drop it off on our way home, etc, etc.... outside of our regular shift... all in the name of being the "good guy" ... What happens is they then expect this of you and the more they can get from you, the better for them....you give an inch, they take a mile... for all the extra you do, it makes your boss look good in the eyes of their boss...and so on. Once in a while a person comes across a boss who really appreciates this sort of thing and rewards you for it and treats you with dignity and respect. It's been my experience that is a rare find. My philosophy is do the best you can within your paid shift...if they want anything extra of you, let them ask and ensure they will pay for it. Make sure schedule changes, duties changes, or anything else that changes is somehow clarified and documented. Most "bosses" will not jeopardize their position for the sake of their staff member, especially if they've only held the "boss" position for a short time.

As for advice, try and work through this with this new "manager" and if you aren't getting anywhere, go over their head with it.

I may well have a sceptical approach to such things but quite frankly, I am willing to bet that I have worked for more employers than anyone and I have for many years been mr "good guy" and done all those "extra" things....only to find out that, in the end, it RARELY pays off.

For the past 20 years, I was self employed and during that time I swore I would never again become someone's "employee"....but, things change and here I am working for someone again. Only this time, I don't give those little "extra's" without ensuring that both of us are clear on what I am doing and how much I'm being reimbursed for it. That I learned from so many let downs when I was employed before and during the years of self employment, ensuring both myself and my clients knew exactly what I was doing for them and for how much.

Well anyway, sorry for rambling on but... this is what I "think" about this stuff. Hope it all works out well for you...I can certainly empathize with your frustrations.

Good stuff, and pretty much right on the money. It's a business, and they think in terms of income and expense. You're an expense; they only value your input when they pay for it. If they aren't paying you, they don't really want your input.

I'll add, many "managers" are just like their employees; looking for the easy way. So, problems like schedules, covering no shows, and dealing with after hours problems are probably not going to be handled well.

I'll ask you to answer your own question- do you like this job? Do you like working with the other employees & your boss? Is this the first time this year you've encountered trouble?

If you answered yes, I'd do what it takes to settle the problem. If you answered no, I'd spend some time thinking about other options; but in my case, I wouldn't leave over one problem.

Another point; most of our problems are not what other people are doing to us, but how we react to them doing it to us. You can't control their actions (well, maybe, but that's another topic), but you are in charge of how you react. If you're having problems with them, look at how you reacted. How can you get through this without losing sleep, money or respect? If you can't, then find another job- maybe in a different field with people or working conditions that you can adapt better.

Most employers are looking for employees that do the work and don't "create" problems. They don't find many, and they'd like to keep the ones they have. Let them know you can't work unscheduled shifts on short notice, and accept whatever resolution they come up with. Next time, keep it simple; just say no.

When you give extra to try and impress the "boss", are you being paid? ...

What happens is they then expect this of you and the more they can get from you, the better for them....

Once in a while a person comes across a boss who really appreciates this sort of thing and rewards you for it and treats you with dignity and respect...

My philosophy is do the best you can within your paid shift...if they want anything extra of you, let them ask and ensure they will pay for it. Make sure schedule changes, duties changes, or anything else that changes is somehow clarified and documented...

As for advice, try and work through this with this new "manager" and if you aren't getting anywhere, go over their head with it...

Cindy , I hope things work out .

As a suggestion , start keeping a diary of your work schedule . Making note of time worked over , extra duties performed , etc..... Use this when the occassion arises such with talks with the owner and manager .

Also when discussions where you swap out hours worked or need to make changes , write them down , have each party involved sign it and keep in safe place and also mark it on the shop calender . It can be merely a note of such . I have our employees not only tell us if they need a change or time off to make this note and have us sign it . But with all the chaos and interruptions that occurs within our shop daily , we the bosses tend to forget sometimes . At least when an employee returns back and to get that butt chewing , they can waive that note we signed to remind us of that agreement . This better protects all parties involved . Our employees talk all the time about what changes they say they need , but tend to forget to tell the most important persons , the boss .

Please take this advise in the future , it has saved a lot of greef .

BEER30

...layed blame totally on me for what happened. I appologized and...

...She appears to not be taking any responsibilty for what happened,

...I have admitted to my share of it and appologized

...i have missed one day in the last year,

...I turned down my chance for the after school program...so I cant work the shift i was on.

... dont know if I want to go back there now.........

I worked in government most of my life, so those who took extra work, etc., without compensation were only regarded as 'suckers'.

Also, that 'extra work' became expected and only made those look bad if they didn't do the same nextime/everytime.

Anyone doing the appologizing/admitting, must be wrong.

Turning down daycare painted yourself into a corner.

Can't work the shift you were on and don't know if you want the other shift...or even the job itself.

If I read this right, your only choice is to work the boneyard shift, part-time, for a 6 week boss who is always right.

Certainly there is more to it, but this job sounds like a loser.

However, if there is a really good job out there, I've never seen it.

We just show up, take the heat, eat dirt, Say: "Yes Sir - Yes Ma'am", then we decide, every payday, if it's enough.

There is as reason they have to PAY us to show up.

The bottom line is always; "Is it worth it?"

thanks for all your input, insights, suggestions, etc.

as someone said " Is it worth it?"

thats my issue....but i do need the money......lol

I did have my little pow wow with the manager today.......altho she never brought up the "incident" that happened........

we did come to some understanding about what hours and days I can work and I have been put back on the schedule.

Not sure if this would have happened if the general manager had not gotten involved in the situation.:think:....I felt compelled to go higher up to resolve this unfair treatment..especially after a new hire was given several chances to show up for work and only showed 1 out of 3 days and they kept giving her another chance.....hmmmm..whats wrong with this picture??

Even tho the manager, to my knowledge, hasnt taken any of the responsibilty for the miscommunication, I am going back..at least for now and see how things work out.

I did apply for several jobs while i was on my little "vacation" from there......and will leave if something pans out.

I kind of feel that my reputation amongst my fellow employees has been tarnished, tho i dont know exactly what had been told to them.....which is hard to swallow as I had a very good repoire with them. I believe some of them think I quit.

Time will tell.....

at least now ya all know i wont be in here starting trouble all the time.....:innocent: im goin back to work......got a few more days tho......dont go back til sunday:stirthepot:

Sounds like your new manager ran a bit of a power play on you. Now at least you know what type of person she is (non-trustworthy) and you can act accordingly around her. I have come to find out after being in the work force for over 33 years that most co-workers are nothing more than suck ups. You are there to make money first and foremost. If a few friendships develop along the way, great, just remember the suck up rule...lol. Just watch your back and when something better comes along, dont even look back. Just leave with good references.

Girl, there has got to be a better job out there with your name one it. On your off days I would be doing nothing but job hunting. Then upon accepting your new job fax your resignation from your new employer on company letterhead after not showing up for three days. :rasberry:

Ok, maybe I wouldn't burn the bridge that bad, but get a new job. :mo money:

Cindy keep going the extra mile people do notice and it will pay off in the end. If nothing else you will know you did the best job you could do and that is worth a lot. Winers never quit and quitters never win. If you don't like the job then keep looking till you find one you like. Until you find the job you want hold your head up high be the best you can be. Its all about attitude if you get a bad attitude you will live a miserable life. If you have a positive attitude it does not matter what life throws at you you can deal with it and be happy.

Silver T .........Did you ever work for the B.C. Ferrys? That is exactly their attitude.

hehe.. no I didn't but I can tell ya, it's not an uncommon attitude.

Further to what someone else said here... "co workers are suck-ups" and "watch your back" ... how very true that is... I've been stabbed in the back and had the knife twisted by a few so-called "friend" co-workers over the years and I've seen it happen to others also. DON'T TRUST ANYONE that you work with is my motto. Never give out any secrets about yourself and never confide in a co-worker... it will come back and bite ya right in the tush one day. You're number ONE... so look out for yourself FIRST coz everyone else does for themselves.

Gawd, am I tainted or what? LOL

I have a really good job now that I hope will take me thru to retirement. I do my "thing" and stay the h3LL out of office politics and don't make friends with anyone else who works there. I look after ME. I do my job, get my pay, and go home at the end of my day and forget about it.

Cindy keep going the extra mile people do notice and it will pay off in the end. If nothing else you will know you did the best job you could do and that is worth a lot.

Nuthin wrong with this advice .... except....be very selective of the people you go the extra mile for...pick the ones who can do the most good for YOU.

Excellent advice by all, so I can not help, but personally I would never burn the bridges behind me.

Sorry to hear about your luck lately and wish you all the best.

PS: Maybe the Bear has a job opening :sign20: :sign13:Could not resist.

Brad

a manager is no more than a higher up employe and crap rolls down hill you can bet shes covering her backside by laying the blame on some one under herself they are going to protect there own job

best is for you to remember what shes like and to make sure you cover your own backside like beer said from now on if there is a change make her sign a note and post a copy

this is gettting funny now...........I got woke up around 5 am this morning with a phone call.....no glasses on and it was dark and It woke me up so I didnt look at the caller id...just answered thinking somethings wrong for the phone to ring at this hour..........

haha,,,,,it was someone from work......she is sick and needs to go home, she tried a couple other people and noone could/would come in.........so the manager told her to try me.......she knows i cant come in til I get Haylie off to school at 8:15 but thought I could come in then........and yep you got it, of course i said yes.....:innocent:

so here we go, the cycle starts to roll once again..........:cool10:

oh the girl who called did *snicker* a lil and say "welcome back"......

Just a little follow up on my return to work yesterday.........:D

Things went well....no feelings of problems with any fellow employees....

but heres the kickers 2 of them.......

The manager was having problems figuring out what some of the other employees had done on their paper work from the previous day......she was totally frustrated.......well she came to me..showed it to me and asked if I had any idea what they had done.....I told her what it looked like to me had happened.....so she went back to work on that idea......but just didnt get it...

later when I was doing my paperwork she came and sat down and said she just had to get away from it , couldnt get it worked out ( it was a money issue) well once again I looked at it and explained what I saw and how it had carried over to the next person and so on.....so back she went....still not quite getting it.......:rotf:

she asked me not to clock out til I came in her office and went over it with her again.:cool10:

Well I managed to get it all straightened out for her so everything came out.

Now on to the next one......obviously because of what happened with me...the big office sent down some policies and procedures in writing that she wanted me ( and everyone) to read over.....well guess what.....the managers were told that there would be no more schedule changes without informing the employees invloved and it had to be ok with them......because "your employees" do have lives and make plans according to the original schedules that are posted.....there were other things about favoritism, etc.

If nothing else at least i accomplished this !

Before I left she did mention the "miscommunication" between us and wanted to know if everything was "ok" between us......I said I'm fine I have no hard feelings to which she raised her hands to kind of high five them against mine.........

I'm guessing this person is a "new" manager huh? If that's the case, it's a common phenomena that they get "head swelling". In other words, the title of "manager" goes to their head and they think they can just "take over" and excercise their new found "authority". It often backfires on them fairly quickly.

Sounds like the "Peter Principle" is in operation at your company. Once you demonstrate that you can do a good job, they promote you, etc. until they find a job you can't do. She's reached the top.

Maybe she's trainable; help her when you can, but watch out that you don't end up doing her job & yours. She's getting paid to do a job, and if she can't, her boss needs to know it. But not from you.