IGNORED

Do Knee Blockers keep rain off inner legs?

I know everyone says they make a big improvement on the "cold knees", but do they keep the rain from getting to the inside of your pants legs?

You may want to see a urologist....... just kidding LOL

I have a set and they are warmer, and it does keep the wind off, but I can't honestly tell you if you will stay dryer. Sorry about that.

Bubber

Knee blockers, are you referring to the ones sold through here, the ones that velcro to the underside of the lower fairings?

They help keep SOME of the rain off.. but can't keep it all off.

On several trips last summer that my ride buddy and I were caught in the rain, I can actually say my pants were less wet than his by the time we pulled off the road. However, the longer you'll ride the more wet you'll become due to the turbulence of air around the cockpit anyway..

Just wondering if the blockers helped in that aspect. I seem to get more water on the inside of my pantslegs that are up against the tank than on the outsides when riding in a steady rain. Was considering getting a pair anyway for the few "cold" months we have down here in the sunny south. I already have the yamaha windwings that help tremendously.

Just wondering if the blockers helped in that aspect. I seem to get more water on the inside of my pantslegs that are up against the tank than on the outsides when riding in a steady rain. Was considering getting a pair anyway for the few "cold" months we have down here in the sunny south. I already have the yamaha windwings that help tremendously.

they will help, they won't hurt..

I "think" it was Buddy Rich that was selling these (I think, old memory). They are plastic pieces that fit between your lower fairing and the air boxes to divert wind away from your knees and face.

When you ride down the highway, put your hand down by your thigh and the tank and most will notice a lot of wind not hitting them in the face anymore.. I usual get wind coming up under my glasses making my eyes water but these little tabs cut that wind away..

However, they are meant to keep the wind off your knees, pushing the boundary layer about 1 to 2 inches above your knee. It works wonderfully.

I "think" it was Buddy Rich that was selling these (I think, old memory). They are plastic pieces that fit between your lower fairing and the air boxes to divert wind away from your knees and face.

When you ride down the highway, put your hand down by your thigh and the tank and most will notice a lot of wind not hitting them in the face anymore.. I usual get wind coming up under my glasses making my eyes water but these little tabs cut that wind away..

However, they are meant to keep the wind off your knees, pushing the boundary layer about 1 to 2 inches above your knee. It works wonderfully.

Are these the WindWings of which you speak?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5245/5382800889_0e66e34781.jpg

Is this the Buddy of which you speak?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5382800647_cfc0e4b9e3.jpg

This is from last weekend, so Buddy is still selling them.

Dave

Yes, those are the ones I have and I "highly" recommend them! What a difference they made for around here in the COLD.. I tend to stretch my riding season as much as possible and these devices makes it all that much more enjoyable..

The only problem I had with them was keeping them attached to the bike. For what ever reason, nothing 'velcro' will stick to this frikken bike of mine.. it all peels away after a short time. So what i did was relocate the proper position for the wind wings under the fairings as shown in your photos, and glop on a lot of "Automotive Goop" and press fit it up into position against the underside of the fairing which was pre-lined with plastic film (so to not stick to the bike..). and then clamps it into place until cured.

What this does is give the whole thing a full contact surface between the wind winds and the fairings.. in order to make the velcro strips have a larger surface to stick to properly. I may look into doing a quick disconnect hardware mounting system for these as well.. I do a lot of North to South riding and the high temps down there make it necessary to remove the wings for better rider cooling..

As you look at the previously posted photos, the "knee blockers" are the upper deflectors he is mounting at the top. The yamaha "wind wings" are the ones you see mounted at the sides of the lower fairing. I was considering putting the "knee blockers" on in addition to the wings hoping they might divert some water also. When I'm riding local down here in 30's to 40's I just deal with the cold knees. Now, wet cold knees......no fun. I hate to drag out a rainsuit for short runs. Glad we only have a couple or three months a year to worry about it.

I have found that the inside of my pants get wet due to the water that runs off of the tank and into my lap. I have found that if I make a conscious effort to not let my knees 'hug' the tank and scoot back just a hair on my seat it helps keep the inside of my legs dry-er-ish.

A nice pair of rain pants help too.

• 2 months later...