IGNORED

Fairings - Fixed versus the RSV

DarkWolf

I have owned a couple of sport touring bikes. What I always liked about them was the fixed fairings. I could go 90 mph, hold the handle bar with one hand while resting the other hand on my hip, and go as straight as an arrow, cutting through wind like a knife.

I also owned a Harley. You couldn't ride a Harley like that. It was both hands on the bar. It always felt as if the handlbars would rip out of my hands when I rode with one hand. The RSV does not have a fixed fairing. I suspect the feeling is going to be similar to riding a Harley. I am almost sure of it.

Would someone comment on this?

with harleys riding position....or any touring bike for that matter....your arms are always rested. they are not tensed up from leaning on them, like you have to, when riding a sporty bike. ( beside the fact that both your hands should be on the handlebars at all times).

and how do you, my friend rest your RIGHT hand?? :detective:

RIDE SAFE...:thumbsup:

Having owned a few Goldwings in the past, I agree there is a noticable difference in handling between the frame-mounted (fixed) and the fork-mounted fairings. With a frame mounted fairing, you don't feel the weight on the bars, thus more responsive handling. However, you gain alot more plastic (tupperware) and you lose the classic looks of a fork mounted fairing. On the RSV, I don't have a problem riding with one hand on the bar, except for the curves. I find that the fairing on the RSV seems to be lighter and more manueverable than the one on the Harley. Just my opinion.

Just finished mounting a bat wing fairing outer to my RSTD (that I got from a fellow out in Calgary)and a radio caddy, using the brackets that I have for sale(plug :whistling:). Just need to finish some minor road rash repair and have it painted. I now can go no windshield, stock windshield, shorty windshield or bat wing with the radio. Suspect the majority of the time it will be bat wing cause I do like having the tunes going down the road . Haven't noticed any huge differences in handling at slow or high speed. Bike is just as stable with the fairing as it is with the stock shield IMHO.

Guest KitCarson

The Venture is not one little bit like a Harley. I rode a Harley Electra Glide for a long time. Long trips from Jacksonville, Florida to Fayetteville, Arkansas. The venture is a smooth even ride, it holds even, smooth and steady. If you are a dare devil and want to take both hands off the bars at 80 mph, it will hold steady. It is not like the Harley, that swerves all over the road, and has that built in wobble from the passing big rigs. The Venture will move out of it track a bit when a big rig goes by.....but there is no fairing wobble. No these bikes are smooth. Kit