IGNORED

Fairing Splits, Silverstar, Windshields and other Potpourri

OK...after a brief scare with my windshield (my wife threw it away and took it to the dumpster, but was able to recover it)...I decided to go ahead and do some things to to the bike today.

I have several questions!!

First thing was removing the fairing, I did notice that both tabs were broken and I know this has been discussed a lot, but if left broken, do they really pose any danger...or should I DEFINITELY have the fairing replaced?

When removing the fairing, I also noticed that one of the grommets was missing helps stabilize and rattle proof the fairing...is that a standard size grommet or is there a special part number?

Replacing the lamp with the Silverstar IS A PAIN...even with the fairing split!! Also the BIG rubber cover has threads in it...but it doesn't screw on does it. Also, even with the fairing split, I had a hard time getting my hand up through there...removing the adjustment knob did help. Maybe I am missing something, but any further tips would be greatly appreciate.

Is there a better tape to use besides electrical tape that is not as effected by HEAT and COLD...the adhesive doesn't seem to keep the connections tight.

I also was trying to track down why my running lamps no longer worked...when they installed them they used the OLD fashioned glass 10A fuse. I am going to replace that with chip kind, is that what most of you have done?

And finally, I installed the F4 Customs Windshield. WOW...very nice. VERY clear too. Sitting behind it is almost like sitting on the bike without a shield at all...it's that clear. I am very pleased.

So, I'm looking forward to some answers, thoughts, suggestions and tips.

Wally

And finally, I installed the F4 Customs Windshield. WOW...very nice. VERY clear too. Sitting behind it is almost like sitting on the bike without a shield at all...it's that clear. I am very pleased. So, I'm looking forward to some answers, thoughts, suggestions and tips.

Wally

Do you recall how they measure their windscreens? From bottom to top of windscreen itself or from a height somewhere on the tank and up to the top of the windshield? I'm seriously thinking of getting this one but dunno which to order etc..

Cheers

On replacing that glass fuse holder,,,,,,

Soon after my passing lamps were installed, they poped the fuse.

My shop took care of it, no charge as they did the install just a week or so before.

What he did was run a blade fuse (car type) and put it near the headlight adjust knob so I can get to it without getting into the fairing. It's not real visible but it can be replaced in seconds with no tools. Real nice.

Mike G in SC

PS: I should get my F4 in the next day or so, can't wait. (Got the 17.5 clear,,, wide)

Got an email from F4 Customs.. unfortunately they currently do not ship to Canada.. dang..

And they measure from the bottom centre of the windshield to the very top centre of the windshield, unlike other companies that might be measuring from top of the glass to vertically down to top of the tank etc..

Hopefully soon.. ;)

First thing was removing the fairing, I did notice that both tabs were broken and I know this has been discussed a lot, but if left broken, do they really pose any danger...or should I DEFINITELY have the fairing replaced?

When removing the fairing, I also noticed that one of the grommets was missing helps stabilize and rattle proof the fairing...is that a standard size grommet or is there a special part number?

Replacing the lamp with the Silverstar IS A PAIN...even with the fairing split!! Also the BIG rubber cover has threads in it...but it doesn't screw on does it. Also, even with the fairing split, I had a hard time getting my hand up through there...removing the adjustment knob did help. Maybe I am missing something, but any further tips would be greatly appreciate.

Is there a better tape to use besides electrical tape that is not as effected by HEAT and COLD...the adhesive doesn't seem to keep the connections tight.

I also was trying to track down why my running lamps no longer worked...when they installed them they used the OLD fashioned glass 10A fuse. I am going to replace that with chip kind, is that what most of you have done?

Wally

Fix the fairing tabs. If left unattended there will be additional damage in the future.

The rubber boot at the back of the light housing simply pulls off. Remove the pin for the adjustment shaft and remove two housing screws (allen head), then simply pull forward and work with plenty of room.

If you can, always use heat shrink tubing. If not use liquid electrical tape, let dry and put standard tape over it.

The type of fuse you use makes little difference. They all work the same.

:farmer:

Fix the fairing tabs. If left unattended there will be additional damage in the future.

Thank you...I'll check into this...

The rubber boot at the back of the light housing simply pulls off. Remove the pin for the adjustment shaft and remove two housing screws (allen head), then simply pull forward and work with plenty of room.

I think I did it the hard way...but it got done anyway. Thanks.

If you can, always use heat shrink tubing. If not use liquid electrical tape, let dry and put standard tape over it.
That was suggested by a friend at work too...so I may get some of that just put the shrink tubing over it.

The type of fuse you use makes little difference. They all work the same.

Yeah, I knew they worked the same, but I HATE those twistie holders for the glass fuses...I like the spade fuses much better. Again...thanks.

Wally

You may be able to get it replaced under warranty as long as you did not drop the bike. It is a very common problem for the dealer to break them when they assemble the bike out of the crate. I guess it depends on how good of a dealer you have...

I know I didn't break them...haven't dropped the bike. But going in and telling the dealer...I feel like I am guilty of abusing the bike even though I haven't. My stealer does not seem to have the greatest knowledge when it comes to the Venture anyway.