IGNORED

LED Light Kit Question

Bobby G

My wife bought me a couple of Sidewinderz LED light strips for Christmas for mounting under the tank to light up the engine, but there is no controller or switch of any kind - just the light strips with about 16" of wire on the end of each one. Does anyone have a recommendation as to a simple light switch kit I should get for these? Electrical is not my strong suit, so I'm fumbling with this a little.

I did find this controller on the CruiserCustomizing.com web site, but still not sure it's what I need.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=49&manufacturer_ID=563&product_ID=32058&sblid_name=Street_FX_Electropods_L_E_D_Light_Kit_Power_Distribution_Module&model_id=0

About any rocker to toggle switch will work. It is best to get one designed for outdoors. I mounted a rocker switch for my lights behind the right side of the seat. So I can reach down behind the seat and flick it on or off while I am riding. I powered mine from the rear light system connector near the battery. So they are normally powered on whenever the ignition is on. The switch on mine is just so I can force them off when I want to. Also since I glued the light strips to the bottom of my tank (two sided tape) I put a connector at the rear of the tank so I can unplug them when I have to remove the tank.

Mike

With the seat off it is a six wire connector to the left rear of the battery compartment. I believe the taillight is the blue wire. if I get a chance to take a pic I will post it here.

I bought my led strips from Harbor Freight for $7 each. I put one under each side of the fuel tank and one inside each saddlebag mount rail. Four in all. It gives me indirect lighting which I think is very pleasing. Also gets me noticed by other vehicles at night.

Mike