IGNORED

Family that has inspired us to ride

etcswjoe

I would like to know and see who has been an inspiration for you to ride.

Tell a story and post an old pic if you have one.

I will start it out by posting a pic of my uncle in front of Shanklin's Diary in Marion Va where my Dad and all his brothers worked. He is on my Dad's bike and they use to tell me all kinds of wild stories.http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/etcswjoe/Linked/oldbike.jpg

I wish that I did have pics. My first memory of a 2-wheeler was my brother and I riding in the trunk area of a Cushman step-thru similar to this one...

http://www.hobbytech.com/FeatureBikes/BryanMcKinney That had to be the early 60's if we were small enough to fit in there together. It was a project of my dad's. He died a few years after that ride.

But my first ride alone was when a cousin came by our home to visit when I was 11. He was riding an on/off road Kawasaki of some sort. I didn't know how to shift it so I rode all over the field in 1st gear.

When I was young, 7 or 8, I was aware of my Grandfather (mother side) and his Harley. He rode in all weather year round (He lived in Michigan) and my other Grandfather on my Dads side also rode when he got out of the Army after WWII. My Dad also had some bikes, had a Triumph 650 Bonneville Chopper, very long rake front forks. I have been around bikes all my life and started off on mini bikes and moved up to dirt bikes. So it started at a young age with me, I'll have to see if I can dig up some pics of them

:)

When I was 7 or 8 (1960ish) my Dad had a Zundapp, similar to the one below, it was my first

motorcycle ride, but it left a lasting impression. He sold it to a young teenager who was

killed on it the following week, so he wouldn't let me have one as a youth. I was 21 before

I got my first motorcycle.

http://www.motorcycle-bike-parts.com/images/Zundapp.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

let me have my first ride on his first out harley D dirt bike; small, and I barely fit on it. He took both my sons for rides on it, and they loved it as I did in my late 20's then. Sure wish I still had that little bike as a collector's item.

My next ride was behind my brother-in-law's 750, and he almost accelerated me off the back. Then in 1985 I loaned my first son :mo money:the money for a hot Kowasaki, and soon I rode it. Then I got my own Yamaha 650, then XS100 with bags and farings, then my first 86 VR brand new:337:; off 6 years; then bought a used one from Squidley with Lonna's permission, and been riding that since (some 32,000 miles of pure pleasure at my young soon to be 72 years riding). :banana:

Jack T

:Venture::7_6_3[1]:and now? I ride in all directions! Jz

Growing up in Coney Island, we had a guy named Red who lived down the street and owned a red/white Lambretta scooter. Red took us kids for rides in Friday nights. We all loved it, especially me. From then on I was interested in bikes. In my early teens I hung out with "Howie" whose father was a road captain for the Brooklyn Rat Pack M/C and rode Harleys. That elevated my desire for a bike. Funny thing though. My first bike was a 1978 750 SS. Progression took me through several Jap bikes right up to the present, and probably last, 1999 RSV. Never had a strong desire to even own a Harley. Go figure....