IGNORED

Opened a E-card got a Virus

Kregerdoodle

I opened a E-Card this morning and then started getting this small window pop up, looked like a windows app. that said I nneded to up date and that I was out of drive space..it showed up as HDDLow and created an Icon on my desk top..I could not close it, it changed my desk top to all black except for what it wanted me to click. I ran a full Mcafee scan and it found and removed it, but I still did a system restore, hope its gone. I do not use this lap top for anything other then this site, email, PGR stuff, so if I end up having to wipe it clean and start over I will not be out anything. Has any one heard of this one?? I would sure like to catch these ^%$# that have nothing else to do but screw up things..Just be carefull opening up e-cards or anything that you are not 100% sure of.

Kreg

Lots of little apps like that out there. Viruses and trojans can be spread by programs, WEBSITES (not this one - or mine), by emails, by LINKS (notorious) and finally, even by IMAGES with fake extensions. You'll see something like: image.jpg but in reality it might really be something like: image.jpg.php

I don't do ANY e-cards or links. Facebook is riddled with LINKS that lead to malicious websites.

Just an FYI...Don't open anything from anyone you don't know. Also, BE VERY CAREFUL with people you do know, LOTS of people have been given viruses or adware by "friends" either unintentionally or through SPOOFING of email addresses.

Surfer BEWARE.

Thanks!! I normally don`t, not sure why I opened that email, my sister normally sends me ecards, and have not had a problem. but I will not open another one...

Lots of little apps like that out there. Viruses and trojans can be spread by programs, WEBSITES (not this one - or mine), by emails, by LINKS (notorious) and finally, even by IMAGES with fake extensions. You'll see something like: image.jpg but in reality it might really be something like: image.jpg.php

I don't do ANY e-cards or links. Facebook is riddled with LINKS that lead to malicious websites.

Just an FYI...Don't open anything from anyone you don't know. Also, BE VERY CAREFUL with people you do know, LOTS of people have been given viruses or adware by "friends" either unintentionally or through SPOOFING of email addresses.

Surfer BEWARE.

I opened a E-Card this morning and then started getting this small window pop up, looked like a windows app. that said I nneded to up date and that I was out of drive space..it showed up as HDDLow and created an Icon on my desk top..I could not close it, it changed my desk top to all black except for what it wanted me to click. I ran a full Mcafee scan and it found and removed it, but I still did a system restore, hope its gone. I do not use this lap top for anything other then this site, email, PGR stuff, so if I end up having to wipe it clean and start over I will not be out anything. Has any one heard of this one?? I would sure like to catch these ^%$# that have nothing else to do but screw up things..Just be carefull opening up e-cards or anything that you are not 100% sure of.

Kreg

Lets see... what you are saying is if you wiped us completely out of your computer it would be no loss??? Hummm......:whistling:

:rotfl: Hope you got rid of it. They seem to be popping up everywhere.Hard to avoid anymore you have to have some kind of anti-virus.

Lets see... what you are saying is if you wiped us completely out of your computer it would be no loss??? Hummm......:whistling:

No, I dont think he said US he might have said YOU..............:whistling::rotf:

Brian

Kreg, your a/v program should have caught that on opening, double check your settings and ensure its updating frequently.(at least daily,,,sometimes on laptops that arent used the A/v gets outdated as we shut them down for a long time and then get infected with a new virus.)

It looks like you musta clicked on one of those FAKE antivirus sites and downloaded the crap onto your system here is the info http://trojan-killer.net/hdd-low-fake-how-to-remove-hdd-low-virus/

that could have been it, i ran the up dates a few min. ago... so hope that helps out..

No, I dont think he said US he might have said YOU..............:whistling::rotf:

Brian

Kreg, your a/v program should have caught that on opening, double check your settings and ensure its updating frequently.(at least daily,,,sometimes on laptops that arent used the A/v gets outdated as we shut them down for a long time and then get infected with a new virus.)

It looks like you musta clicked on one of those FAKE antivirus sites and downloaded the crap onto your system here is the info http://trojan-killer.net/hdd-low-fake-how-to-remove-hdd-low-virus/

Guest tx2sturgis

Lovin my Mac computer.

"In a recent report in which some 22 million computers were scanned for infections of various types, some 48% were found to be infected. It is still hard to believe that after all these years that people still fail to protect themselves.

“Though the scanning system checks for many different kinds of potentially unwanted software, for this report, Panda Labs has segmented out ‘Downloaders’ and ‘Banking Trojans/Password Stealers’ as they are most often associated with financial crimes such as automated phishing schemes.

The proportion of infected computers detected has decreased for the first time in 2009. In the same way, the proportion of banking Trojans has decreased from a 16.94 percent in Q2 to 15.89 percent in Q3. The proportion of Downloaders has dropped to 8.39 percent from 11.44 percent in Q2 ? but it is still higher than in Q1 (4.22%).”

The unfortunate fact is that these infected people are the same folks that send you and I emails or other attachments. Lucky us.

What can we do to stop the tide of infections? Not much. Wish those infected good thoughts and just keep your own system clean."

And a comment posted there is interesting:

"In nature, the main line of defense against disease is diversity. The more homogeneous a species, the more likely a single disease can affect a large portion of the population. The immune system helps to fight against disease, but when the immune system itself lacks diversity it becomes the first and most obvious point of attack: find a vulnerability in immunity and the host organisms are yours.

This model maps well to computing. It is much more effective to write malware for the largely homogeneous Windows population, even with its handful of relatively powerful immune systems, than to try to target the hundreds of varieties of *nix based operating systems (Mac, as a BSD derivative, falls into this category), each with their own unique vulnerabilities. These systems don’t require an extraordinarily powerful immune system because none of them represent a broad enough demographic to be candidates for infection; disease is not able to thrive in such individualized environments, so while the cures may come slower the communicability of disease is minuscule.

There is no reason to believe that this natural order is going to change any time soon. Unfortunately because we operate in shared space on the network, mass infections cause a burden even to those system which are not directly affected, by way of reduced bandwidth and waste of mindshare. We seem to be compelled to adopt diversity as a strategy, and take Windows-based systems for what they are: a breeding ground for infections that causes a disproportionately large burden on the network.

Making bigger, better anti-viruses is not a viable option; nor is spreading awareness. That strategy has had 15 years to be tested and it has made no significant progress (in fact things have gotten progressively worse). Meanwhile those of us who have seen the better path still struggle under the weight of those who have not.

Source:

http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2010/02/01/22-million-computers-scanned-found-48-infection-rate/

Strange thing happened to me today, I got an e-mail from ME to ME trying to sell me prescription drugs. I of course didn't open it but it was addressed to my e-mail address FROM my e-mail address. How do I address this issue? :think:

The best thing is to make sure your antivirus program is up to date. There are a couple of viruses that can take over a friends machine and then it harvest any email addresses in their machine and then sends an infected email to everyone under a made up name. I would download and install a free program called malwarebytes and run it to clean up your computer. I run it on mine about twice a month and it always finds at least a couple of files of malware. I run it in addition to my antivirus program

find it here [ame=http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1d]Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com[/ame]

Brian

Just an FYI...

I have been using Windows 7 Pro for about 3 month's. I use Avast Free Anti-Virus. I NEVER open forwarded emails and I NEVER open email from anyone I don't know. Those I do know that send me attachments I am very cautious about opening the attachment and oftentimes just delete the message. I use Facebook but NEVER subscribe to their various ads or games or groups.

When I'm browsing the 'net I am very cautious about clicking various links to ads or anything that is prompting me to download something I'm not specifically looking for.

I just downloaded and ran MalwareBytes based on Brian's suggestion and it found ONE malware item called Adware.Gain. This came to me as part of a download for the DivX player and is not a serious threat.

By using these "self-preservation" methods, I have rarely had a virus or other such things in the last 10 years.

I guess my message to others is that you have to be very cautious about what you do while on the 'net otherwise you're just opening the door to trouble. Having said that, running up-to-date A/V apps, Malware apps, using caution, and any/all other forms of self-protection will not guarantee anyone that they won't get hit ... but the more you do will certainly minimize the risk.

As for those emails that get sent out as though YOU sent them when, in fact, you didn't ... there are a number of reason's that can cause this, for example, your email addy was part of some forwarded list of email addy's that somebody sent out and one of those people's computer had a virus that steals email addys.

How do you avoid this?

Firstly, you NEVER use the TO or the CC and populate it with a ton of email addys when sending bulk email such as a joke to all you friends. You use BCC. You also ask all those who do this to NOT do it and to either exclude you from that list or that they use BCC instead.

Secondly, as a self-preservation method, you create a dummy email contact in your address book and give it the name of "0000000000" with an email addy of 00000@someplace.com. If you happen to have a spoofing virus that sends out emails from your computer to all those on your address book, it will fail on that email and since it is the first one, it won't continue. (this is an old trick I learned maybe 15 years ago, not sure if it still works).

Hope some of this is helpful for those running Windows OS coz we all know that a MAC never gets virus and malware ... :p

The best thing is to make sure your antivirus program is up to date. There are a couple of viruses that can take over a friends machine and then it harvest any email addresses in their machine and then sends an infected email to everyone under a made up name. I would download and install a free program called malwarebytes and run it to clean up your computer. I run it on mine about twice a month and it always finds at least a couple of files of malware. I run it in addition to my antivirus program

find it here Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Brian

I downloaded malwarebytes and ran it today. It found 7 infected files. THANKS. :thumbsup2:

Malwarebytes is good and so is Superantispyware both free. I use my antivirus first then malewarebytes and then superantispyware. They all seem to miss stuff so I layer the defense. I guess if I had a Mac it wouldnt be a problem.

Yeah, but then you would have a mac.........:stirthepot::stickpoke:

Brian

I keep getting emails from someone named Vrider. Opened it up and all that was in there was some funky kind of link so its all been delegated to the trash folder. I get several from this person a week now.

Guest tx2sturgis
Just an FYI...

Hope some of this is helpful for those running Windows OS coz we all know that a MAC never gets virus and malware ... :p

NOW you're getting it!

:-)