IGNORED

1999 ignitor; 2 or 3 plugs?

Hello. I just bought a used ignitor from Pinwall and it has two plugs (4XY-01). Mine has three plugs (4XY-00). Their ad says it came from a "2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture XVZ1300TF". My bike is a 1999 XVZ13TF.

I just want to get my ducks lined up before calling Pinwall, so I have two questions.

1. Is the ignitor located just in front of the battery on the 1999 RSV? In other words, am I actually looking at the correct part?

2. Can anyone tell me if this ignitor may have come from a first generation venture? It has 2 plugs vs. 3.

Thanks.

Tommy Howard

My service manual shows the ignitor is located directly in front of the battery box. On my '99, the module in front of the battery box has three connectors whereas the one from Pinwall has only two.

So, either I am looking at the wrong module or they sent me the wrong one.

Tommy

My service manual shows the ignitor is located directly in front of the battery box. On my '99, the module in front of the battery box has three connectors whereas the one from Pinwall has only two.

So, either I am looking at the wrong module or they sent me the wrong one.

Tommy

Most of the Venture parts have the part number somewhere on them. What's stamped on the Pinwall part?? Do a Google search for the part number. It's the best way to find out what bike it fits.

on BikeBandit the same part number is listed for 1999, 2000, and 2006.

20: IGNITOR UNIT ASSY

(290676-001)

Yamaha Sports Plaza uses the same SKU for 1999 and 2006 SKU: 4XY-82305-00-00

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-4XY-82305-00-00.html says its the same 1999-2009

It looks like it has 3 connectors in the drawing

Edited by RandyR

I am now convinced that this is the wrong part. Pinwall advertised this part as an ignitor for a 2006 Royal Star Venture. This is incorrect. The ignitor is the same for 1999 through at least 2009. However, I am not without fault in this as I bought it on ebay knowing it had only 2 connectors. I had not yet looked at mine to know it was the wrong one. I just spoke with Pinwall. They are going to take this one back and charge me a 10% fee.

I have already ordered a replacement from Pinwall. They have treated me well in the two transactions I have had with them.

Thanks to you guys for the response.

Tommy Howard

I am now convinced that this is the wrong part. Pinwall advertised this part as an ignitor for a 2006 Royal Star Venture. This is incorrect. The ignitor is the same for 1999 through at least 2009. However, I am not without fault in this as I bought it on ebay knowing it had only 2 connectors. I had not yet looked at mine to know it was the wrong one. I just spoke with Pinwall. They are going to take this one back and charge me a 10% fee.

I have already ordered a replacement from Pinwall. They have treated me well in the two transactions I have had with them.

Thanks to you guys for the response.

Tommy Howard

I have never done any business with Pinwall, so I do not have an axe to grind here - but I don't think I would be quite as happy as you are that "They have treated me well".

They are charging you a restocking fee because they sold you something that THEY advertised wrong and cannot be used on any "2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture". Where's the fair treatment in that?

In your original post you said they advertised a part to fit a "2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture XVZ1300TF" - my check on the Star web site for parts catalogs does not show any 2006 model of anything with the designation of "XVZ1300TF". It looks to me like the last year that Yamaha used "XVZ1300TF" was 2003. For several years they do show RSVs using both "XVZ13TF" and XVZ1300TF" , and while I do not know the difference, the ignitors all show the same three plugs and same part number.

Of course, since they clearly identified the bike by a correct year and model name, that model number could have just been a typo - but then they sent you a part that did NOT come from that listed year and model of bike (or from any "Royal Star Venture" ever made, as far as I can tell), so why do they feel it is OK to take more of your money to correct their mistake?

I hope you eventually get the part you need for a fair price,

Goose

I accept part of the blame for this error because the picture clearly showed the wrong part. I should have realized it was the wrong part and so I do not feel abused by paying $8 to restock. It seems to me that we both made a mistake. I have had other dealings with this company and they have been fair with me.

Thanks for the response.

Tommy

I have never done any business with Pinwall, so I do not have an axe to grind here - but I don't think I would be quite as happy as you are that "They have treated me well".

They are charging you a restocking fee because they sold you something that THEY advertised wrong and cannot be used on any "2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture". Where's the fair treatment in that?

I'm with Goose on this one.... That's BS.... It's not the $8 bucks, and it's not your problem, it's their fault. They should knock an extra 20% off the price of the replacement, and pick up the tab of the return shipping for customer goodwill for causing the problem in the first place.

I accept part of the blame for this error because the picture clearly showed the wrong part. I should have realized it was the wrong part and so I do not feel abused by paying $8 to restock. It seems to me that we both made a mistake. I have had other dealings with this company and they have been fair with me.

Thanks for the response.

Tommy

Listen Tommy, the seller is responsible for describing the item correctly. Pictures help to judge condition, but no one should have to go over a listing with a fine tooth comb to make sure ever thing is absolutely correct. Especially on Pinwalls Ebay listings. They're some of the worst ones I've seen on Ebay.