IGNORED

Advice on installation 3 Pouch Windshield Bag

Color01

I ordered today from Mustang, a 3 Pouch studded windshield bag to match the studded seat from my midnight venture.

But I'm afraid that the mounting support is to short ... can I drill 3 little holes in the windshield and use windshield bolts to attach it…and do I need a special drill bit for drilling holes .. I don’t like to take the risk that I may crack my new windshield.

Guest KitCarson

I generally do not mount a lot of stuff on my bike........I like it uncluttered and simple...but I do know two things. You can drill holes in the lexan windshield with any good clean sharp drill bit. The plastic works well..I cut my windshield down, the plastic works well with normal wood working tools. ...it is easy to scratch and if you get one......no amount of buffing and polish will remove a deep scratch.

Attempting to put anything between the fairing and the windshield would be risky......that windshield and the chrome trim section has to fit just right as it is.....the windshield screws are somewhat short......the whole assembly is very critical and kinda mickey mouse.......my bike came from the factory with the chrome trim section not matching up properly, I had to loosen and tighten the windshield fasteners into the fairing......trial and error and leave one screw completely loose just to allow the plastic fairing to to follow the curve and allow the trim to properly fit........So I would think....something mounted there might very well cause something to crack. That whole fairing windshield assembly is pretty cheap.........Kit

The windshield bag mounting tab does not have go in very far at all. If it will go in at all its probably enough to hold the bag. Just loosen and remove the trim piece. Slight loosen the windshield attatchment bolts and slide it in and retighten. It will not hurt the windshield or the trim piece if neither is over tightened. If it tends to lean forward any use velcro tape.

If the mounting tab is too short to slip in at all you can drill, thought thats rather permanent. If you do consider the acorn nuts on the outside with nylon washers for a more finished look.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Color 01,

I did mine a little different. I bought the cheap w/s bags for $17 and the tab was too short to tuck between the w/s and fairing, not to mention it looked like cardboard from the front looking through the shield. I bought some black fusion paint and painted the lower inside of the shield and used 1 and 1/4" industrial Velcro to attach the bags to the shield. At wash time I just pull the Velcro apart and remove the bags from the bike. I guarantee they won't go anywhere.....LOL

Dog

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants to put on a nice set of bags, I just installed the Harley bags #990 . They install really nice and the tail is long enough to slid behind the windshield and can't come out. Well made and look great !!

No drilling needed and quick install.

If anyone wants to put on a nice set of bags, I just installed the Harley bags #990 . They install really nice and the tail is long enough to slid behind the windshield and can't come out. Well made and look great !!

No drilling needed and quick install.

How much did that run you? AND Any pics?

Thats the one I got Eck but I searched it on the web and found one for 96.00 which included shipping. I

I'm looking at one now from a different place. I am waiting till they open so I can call them to see how wide the windshield bag really is.

I want it to cover from end to end of the windshield, if I can get one that wide.

I also want one with chrome dots on each of the three pouches, to match the other chrome dots on my gas tank and trunk bibs and the chrome dots I put on my floor board edges.

Other info:

I'm still sanding......ha

I'm looking at one now from a different place. I am waiting till they open so I can call them to see how wide the windshield bag really is.

I want it to cover from end to end of the windshield, if I can get one that wide.

I also want one with chrome dots on each of the three pouches, to match the other chrome dots on my gas tank and trunk bibs and the chrome dots I put on my floor board edges.

Other info:

I'm still sanding......ha

the size of mine windshield bags are bigger then what you see normal. ...and they are installed on the 4" wider windshield.

I had to drill 3 little holes..because the tail was just not long enought to slide behind the windshield.

• 4 months later...