IGNORED

Where to Mount Mini Volt Meter - 89 VR?

This worked out well for me. The toggle above it is the control for it. The meter is installed direct to the battery so I can just walk by and hit the toggle to check the battery at any time without messing with the keys.

I don't worry much about the mositure. Running down the road in rain it is a pretty dry spot. If I have to park outside I use a half cover on the bike anyway. It's been in the bike now for two seasons and no issues with the meter at all.

Mike

On the MKII, the surface is not flat like on your MKI and the design/layout is different. I looked at that spot. Just above the top of your meter on the MKII there is a raised ridge just shy the width of my meter, that comes down then flattens out. I'm afraid after cutting a hole that the meter will not fit well. I could turn the meter 90 degrees and then looks like it will fit on the raised surface of the ridge. But that would look a bit weird. I may have to resort to velcro.

I'm hoping that I would get some more response from MKII owners who mounted a mini digital volt meter.

I admit, I'm not familiar with the MKII's a much as I'd like to be. The Ventures are pretty thin in my area. I don't get to see many close up.

Now, along another path to your issue, for a couple of bucks and a lil bit of work, you could make a module like I did to use as a switch panel and install the meter in that. It mounts in an existing hole and no chopping in the body parts.

The available flat spots on these bikes are kind of tough to find that will allow the install of ANYTHING! LOL! Every time I found a spot I thought it might fit.....something was too close under it or something was in the way. I even considered cutting a hole in the false tank cover. Glad I didn't.

There has been some discussion on this before but most decided on a different type of meter or stuck it on with what ever would hold it.

I'm sure some of the other guys will pop in here sooner or later.

But check out the switch mod I did and maybe that will lead you to a new idea.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34990

Mike

Hey Brian,

Here are a few pics of a fairly large switch I installed on a MKII 87'VR. I know this is not the mini volt meter you are trying to install but the switch hole was 1.6" X .8". This location is close enough to the windshield that unless you are sitting at a stop light in a downpour, it stays pretty dry. As I remember, there was enough room for another switch. I have attached a few pics of the install, I hope this helps. If you have questions, please feel free to PM me, and good luck with this project, :thumbsup2:

Earl

Ya, I could install the meter the vertical way like your switch, and maybe angle it as much as I can to accomodiate readability. I'm at work right now and so will take a look tomorrow morning. I'm wondering if the handel bars might block some of the view of the meter. My preference is to install it horizontally and out of the rain.

The switches that snaggletooth installed sure is in a nice and easy location to reach.

Talking about switches, I could post a picture of my two switches I installed. Only if no one would laugh at it for I'm sure someone will raise an eye browe and make some joking comment for the rest of the group to chime in on.

I do like the idea of putting the meter on a switch so I can quickly check without turning the key on.

Thank you both for the suggestions: