IGNORED

Magnet for oil filter???

Some time ago I bought a magnet that is half moon shape and fits around the Oil filter. It will catch any small particles of metal and hold it to the lower part of the oil filter thus preventing it from getting into the engine. Question?? Does anyone know where I can buy these as I am unable to find them any longer. I acquired the one I have from Whitney but they no longer sell them. Help!! I two boys what one for their bikes. Thanks, Dan:depressed::dancefool::confused07:

I prefer the magnetic drain plugs.

If there are metal particles floating around, they came off of somewhere and I would like to know that something is up before it goes completely. Also the drain plug can catch chunks that are rolling around in there to prevent them from getting sucked thru the oil pump and possibly causing damage there.

With a magnet that holds it in the filter, you will never see the chunks and like what was said above, if the particles made it to the filter, they should be trapped by the filter anyhow.

Hey Dan,

The reason many companies have stopped selling the oil filter magnets is if a group of metal particles gets trapped in a localized area of the oil filter, it causes the pressure to rise in the oil filter and causes the oil filter to go to "Bypass Mode". Which means that the oil filter is no longer filtering the oil at all. It would be much better to collect metal particles at the drain plug, where that can be examined at every oil change. This would also allow the oil filter to do it's job for the entire life of the filter without it going to Bypass. In theory, the oil filter magnets were a good idea, but in reality, I don't think anyone thought about the problem of collecting the particles in a filter that basically "stops working" when pressure levels rise.

The magnetic drain plug is the way to go.:thumbsup2:

Earl

DanC, I looked for them as well but ended getting a magnetic drain plug from these guys (http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/motorcycle.html) and havent looked back:thumbsup2:, every oil change, I give it a wipe and good to go. See the this thread (http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28521).

Dumb question time. I checked the link above and they only start listing a Venture as an 2010 model. Have they changed the oil plug size any over the years? I know they haven't changed anything else, but I thought I would ask.

Dumb question time. I checked the link above and they only start listing a Venture as an 2010 model. Have they changed the oil plug size any over the years? I know they haven't changed anything else, but I thought I would ask.

No such thing as a dumb question. It's the same.

DanC, I looked for them as well but ended getting a magnetic drain plug from these guys (http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/motorcycle.html) and havent looked back:thumbsup2:, every oil change, I give it a wipe and good to go. See the this thread (http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28521).

Thanks for including the site and I did order one of the magnetic drain plugs. MP-02 for the 1300 engine on all yamaha's. I also appreciated everyone response concerning my question on the magnet that goes on the filter. It all made good sense after reading all the replys. :dancefool: Dan

There will be free shipping Friday Dec 17 on this magnetic drain plug. I have one in my oil pan and another in my rear drive gear of my RSTD. I should order another pair of them for my Millenium. Btw, I also have one in my car's oil pan.

Goldplug and MagneticDrainPlug are the same company.

There will be free shipping Friday Dec 17 on this magnetic drain plug. I have one in my oil pan and another in my rear drive gear of my RSTD. I should order another pair of them for my Millenium. Btw, I also have one in my car's oil pan.

Thanks for the heads up Randy. I'll be ordering mine tomorrow!

You know, I've ordered my RSV plug from them last year yet I don't see our bike listed on their listing.. ?? Which plug is used for the rear drive?

When you place your order be sure to get a few spare washers, they do wear out, and I always hate to pay the shipping on a 35 cent part.

Shops here always include the washers with your oil filter when you pick up your supplies.. I picked up a whole bunch of them from a shop for almost nothing..