IGNORED

So..how is the guitar playing coming along?

Freebird

Sounds good...would certainly make you an offer for it...the value of them old Gibson's varies greatly...will try not to insult you...lol....I see your from WV.....I spent many hours in Bluefield at the Kroger Beverage Plant....Was a Maint. Mgr for their beverage plants and did a lot of traveling over there....Beautiful Country....Makes Texas look like a desert...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fred I got a Yamaha F310. Whats a callus?? Might have something to do with why I can't play the thing!! Can you buy those???:whistling:

Dan, I've been told you taught Guitar at Glenville State College?

I'm trying to work up the tune..."West Virginia Hills"..

It sure would be helpful if you would record and post a verse and chorus on that Yamaha F 310 for a fellow Mountain Man.

Yamaha F 310.........does the F mean it's a First....like a First Gen???:think:

I don't play and I don't sing. That would probally come under the cruel and unusual punishment amendment.

Teach at Glenville?? Wrong class.

You still showing up at Big Otter? I need to get up there.

Not been to Big Otter lately. I was to the show in Gassaway in October.

Thought maybe Skid would have his Banjo there, I was wrong!

Let me know when you're going...if its not S**W**G...I'll see if I can make it.

Can't seem to find a schedule for either place....unless you are there. The website is not kept up to date.

i've been playing for 20yrs now... mainly leading worship music for our local church. i own 4 taylor acoustic guitars and they are awesome. i have them in differnt sizes so i can teach the kids on the smaller one. rosewood would be my favorite for the deep rich tones and the mahagony is a warmer tone. i love to play, i find it very rewarding. i'm a big fan of the elixir strings with the nano web coating. they seem to hold a bright fresh sound for a long time and they feel pretty good on the fingers

I've never been there.... Some of those folks and I are on fighting terms only. Assumed Former outlaws are not welcome. But I would go!!:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Dan, I missed your post.....I have not been there for a complete show.....stopped in for a while then went on to Gassaway.( I enjoy Gassaway much more):thumbsup: Big Otter never threw me out.........but..... then.........you weren't with me.:stickpoke:

i've been playing for 20yrs now... mainly leading worship music for our local church. i own 4 taylor acoustic guitars and they are awesome. i have them in differnt sizes so i can teach the kids on the smaller one. rosewood would be my favorite for the deep rich tones and the mahagony is a warmer tone. i love to play, i find it very rewarding. i'm a big fan of the elixir strings with the nano web coating. they seem to hold a bright fresh sound for a long time and they feel pretty good on the fingers

Welcome to the site!!..... this place is equal to music...Great Thearpy.

I used many sets of Elixir strings...My only complaint is the first and second string was not coated. (may be now??)

A friend gave me a set of D'Addario EXP12 during a Labor Day Weekend of Bluegrass at Brelin Pa. I like the warm tone of the 80/20 bronze and all strings are coated.

• 1 month later...

Well folks....I got the bug again. I'm now down to ONE single guitar. I had my 40 year old Epiphone redone by a great luthier last year. I actually ended up playing it more than my other guitars and really liked it. It is one that I would never sell but I wanted my oldest son that lives in Texas to have it so about 3 weeds ago, I boxed it up and sent it to him.

That left me with the Taylor Solidbody electric and the Seagull Artist Cameo.

I bought the Taylor electric about a year ago and enjoyed it for a while but I've never been much on electric guitars and the novelty of having one finally wore off. So, I put it on Ebay and it sold on Monday. I shipped it to California on Tuesday.

Now I really liked the Seagull S6 that I had but after I bought the Seagull Artist Cameo, I sold the S6. The thing is, although the flamed maple Artist Cameo was a beautiful guitar, I just never warmed up to the sound of the maple. So, I put it on Ebay yesterday and included a "buy it now" price. Somebody clicked the buy it now button earlier today so suddenly, I had NO guitar at all.

I had started looking around on Monday. I was in Traverse City, MI and there is a nice store there called Marshall's Music that carried Taylor and Martin among other brands. I had decided that if I sold the others that I was going to buy ONE really nice guitar. I thought I wanted a Martin but I tell you, they didn't have a single Martin that did anything for me. I had almost settled on a Taylor and was trying to decide between the 514ce and the 814ce. I actually went back to buy the 514ce last night but I got there about 5 minutes after they close.

I got back to the hotel and started doing some more research on the Martins. I found one that I wanted to look at before I dropped the money for the Taylor but when I stopped by the store this morning, they didn't have the one that I wanted to see. So, I was done in Traverse City so headed back toward the Flint, MI area. I stopped at a couple of stores, including the Guitar Center in Flint but nobody had the Martin that I wanted to see.

I was sitting in my hotel room about 5:30 and went online again. I ended up on the Elderly Music website and noticed that they were based in Lansing, MI. Gave them a call and found that they closed at 7:00. So, I made a mad rush from Flint to Lansing and got there about 6:30. They had TWO of the guitars that I wanted to see and the first time I strummed it, I know it was what I wanted.

So, I am not down to ONE guitar again. I may buy another one, something kind of cheap, to take with me when I travel but I really like this Martin. It's the first Martin I have ever owned and this thing really sings and has a GREAT low end bass. I'm thinking that thisi is a keeper...but you know how that goes.

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a Martin DCPA1 Performing Artist Series. Solid rosewood back and sides, solid Sitka Spruce top. Aura 1 electronics. I love the way it looks and the way it plays. Haven't got any pictures of it but here is a YouTube video demo. (not me of course)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_n0t0s0GRQ]Martin DCPA1 Performing Artist Series Guitar - YouTube[/ame]

Awesome Don!!

As for me, I'm stuck about as far back as I was a year and a half ago ... and that equates to nowhere LOL ... but I still pick up the geetar and pretend once or twice a month. Maybe one day I will go take some lessons. My son did compliment me one day tho about a year ago ... we'd had a few drinks and he can play real good ... so I "did my thing" with the geetar and he says "geeez dad ... you've actually got some rhythm ... I was gettin worried about ya" hahahaha!!!

If you want to see and try a LOT of guitars, Elderly is the place to be.

I love the Larrivee guitars. If I was buying a Martin, I might grab one of their 000 size.

Just sold 1 of my high end Larrivees, the money has gone fast for gardening supplies.

Yea, they have a LOT of guitars. I was dumb to go over there 30 minutes before they closed and then be rushed. There is NOT a problem with this guitar and if it weren't so expensive, it would definitely be my choice. It's just too much money for my needs though. I'm sure I can find something much cheaper that will do just fine. The problem is, I don't have enough time today either. I'm probably going to just return this one and then wait until I have the time to really make a decision.

Yea, they have a lot of guitars there. I took the Martin back first thing this morning but I had a meeting to get to so didn't try to pick something else. I'm going to wait until I have time to do it right.

The Cameo brought $850.00

I might even consider another Seagull Artist in the rosewood/sitka model.

No pictures and no tunes. I did pick up another guitar today though. After looking at a LOT of Martins and coming to the conclusion that they have really let their quality control slip, I ended up buing a Taylor. I liked the low end of the Martin but they were going to have to order one and I tell you, from what I saw hanging on the wall, I was scared to death to order one.

So, I am the proud owner of a new Taylor 814ce. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow but so far, I really like it. Solid rosewood back and sides, sitka spruce top, expression electronics and a GREAT action. Time will tell.

Not sweet enough....it went back after two days. :( I've determined that I'm just not a Taylor guy. I tried the 814ce and when I took it back, I tried the 810ce and the 816ce and they just don't do it for me.

I guess I just like the fullness and low end of the Martins. To my ears, the Taylors just didn't have any guts.

So, I went back and looked at the Martins again and FINALLY found the one for me. :) No pictures yet but I'll take some a little later.