IGNORED

So..how is the guitar playing coming along?

Freebird

Way too many vintage amps! I started collecting them about 10 years ago and couldn't find the brakes until recently. I've started selling off a few and replacing them like sell 4-5 and buy 1 nicer one. I have a lot of late '50s, '60s, and '70s Gibsons, Silvertones, Fenders and Traynors (not as well known, but just as nice, from Canada)

Let me know if you're looking for anything, I may have it!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, could I pull this with the Venture?

or just load the Venture inside with all my gear!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/jbmaynard/MobileStageTrailer003.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/jbmaynard/MobileStageTrailer.jpg

Edited by GaThumper

The wife and I bought guitars last year took some lessons my fingers were too big for a guitar so I went with a base but I gotta find me a teacher thats tough on me. Severe arthur now on new meds fingers are working a bit better so may find me a base teacher. I played accordion for years and still have one but could use some lessons. But unless you live in the northern states were polkas are still alive you won't find one round here

Way too many vintage amps! I started collecting them about 10 years ago and couldn't find the brakes until recently. I've started selling off a few and replacing them like sell 4-5 and buy 1 nicer one. I have a lot of late '50s, '60s, and '70s Gibsons, Silvertones, Fenders and Traynors (not as well known, but just as nice, from Canada)

Let me know if you're looking for anything, I may have it!

I would like to have a nice tube amp but really don't need one. I truly AM a beginner in every since of the word so just don't need to spend a lot of money on an amp. I have a Fender Mustang II modeling amp that sounds amazingly well for a solid state. It is really all I need at this time.

Ok you guitar guys, what do you think.

1959 Les Paul doublecut.

I sent pics to Gruhn and they want to see it.. So I guess I have a trip to Nashville soon.

The "Classic" plate is one I had to cover the missing plate.

[ATTACH]55265[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]55266[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]55267[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]55268[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]55269[/ATTACH]

Really Nice! I'd like to hear those old P90s. Way out of my price range... Probably could trade it for a 2nd Gen! That could be worth 5k or more? I'm not sure.

Did you ask them if they want to buy it or have them appraise it for your insurance?

Different numbers for buying, selling, and insuring! Good Luck!

• 5 months later...

despite what I've said previously about being an acoustic guitar player, I bought a new Larrivee electric today. Spent a couple hours playing some different guitars at a nearby music store and left with the new Larrivee RS-2 Ventura with humbucker pickups and a Fender G-DEC3 Thirty amp. I need to re-energize my playing and practice, hopefully this will do the trick.

http://randyrick.us/guitars/LarriveeElectrics/RS2VenturaHB/frontincase.jpg

http://randyrick.us/guitars/LarriveeElectrics/RS2VenturaHB/FenderGDec3Thirty.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well, the sickness continues. There is absolutely no way that I need yet another guitar but sometimes you just run across a deal that you can't ignore. That is what happened to me yesterday when I came upon a great deal on another Seagull. I already had an S6 Cutaway but always wanted an Artist Series.

So this afternoon, I picked up a new to me Seagull Artist Cameo. Solid flamed maple sides and back, solid spruce top, ivory tuners and the Artist Series inlays of the Seagull on in the 12 fret and abalone/pearl inlay in the head. It has the same Quantum II electronics as my S5 Seagull but I never plug it in anyway.

Now, do I sell the S6 or end up keeping two Seagulls. The S6 is wild cherry back and sides with a cedar top. More of a warm sound. This maple with spruce top is a much brighter sound. I actually like them both but REALLY shouldn't keep them both....but then again.....

Well, the sickness continues. There is absolutely no way that I need yet another guitar but sometimes you just run across a deal that you can't ignore. That is what happened to me yesterday when I came upon a great deal on another Seagull. I already had an S6 Cutaway but always wanted an Artist Series.

So this afternoon, I picked up a new to me Seagull Artist Cameo. Solid flamed maple sides and back, solid spruce top, ivory tuners and the Artist Series inlays of the Seagull on in the 12 fret and abalone/pearl inlay in the head. It has the same Quantum II electronics as my S5 Seagull but I never plug it in anyway.

Now, do I sell the S6 or end up keeping two Seagulls. The S6 is wild cherry back and sides with a cedar top. More of a warm sound. This maple with spruce top is a much brighter sound. I actually like them both but REALLY shouldn't keep them both....but then again.....

Thats almost like mine, yours may be a little newer. Is that the Q2 electronics ?,

mine has the Ibeam duet. I installed the John Pearse glocken bronze bridge pins and use the Martin SP lights and she really sings. I would keep them both if you don't have a Kings ransome into them.

Yes, it has the QII. I've read somewhere that the IBeam is favored but I'm not sure that they still offer it. Both of my Seagulls have the QII electronics though. I used to have a Fender acoustic amp but sold it long ago because I never used it. I just always play them unplugged. I do have a Fender Mustang II that I use for the Taylor Solidbody though.

hmmm.......now I'm kind of wanting another acoustic amp too.....:whistling:

Don I still pick a little; always have....we had a band when i lived in Garland as a teen and were pretty good....most of the guys i played with still have bands they play in around the Dallas Deep Ellum areas....When I was a kid our Dad forced us to take guitar lessons at Arnold & Morgan in Garland...I am left handed and he strung my first guitar for a lefty...I could not play it and had to go back to a right handed guitar....I'm ambitextrous and my son is the same way...I got into the Mandolin for a while but lost interest in it.....You was talking about your cheap Yamaha; I still play a 1971 Yamaha F160 and it sounds as good as the high dollar acoustics....wished I could afford a nice vintage Martin back when they made them right...My Dad played Steel, Mandolin and most anything with strings....Played and sang everyday of my life and it got old....My guitar here lately has just been collecting dust on the wall....I go thru spells with it....have not touched it in at least a year....

I think they still offer the Ibeam but not in the same configuration, maybe off the shelf as a self install p/u i'm not sure exactly. I did notice some of the new setups have a built in tuner. Fishman offers some real good sounding acoustic amps starting at $299 for the 60 watt mini and they have a new 120 watt artist model for just under $500, I found the 100 watt loudbox used in the newspaper (now that take me back a couple of years). Some how I think if you want one you'll find a deal on one.

In 1964 I bought a knockoff Strat. In 1969 I bought a knockoff bass (not sure what it was a copy of). In 2004 I bought an Ovation accoustic. I currently have one Strat, two Tele's, a Jazz bass and an Ibanez bass. I still can't put three chords in a row but "dang, they sho nuff look purty a hangin' on the wall"! :big-grin-emoticon:

You was talking about your cheap Yamaha; I still play a 1971 Yamaha F160 and it sounds as good as the high dollar acoustics....wished I could afford a nice vintage Martin back when they made them right...

I was at Cabin Fever Pickin Party in Hampton VA this spring, while enjoying and playing in the jam sessions I heard Glen Ashwell...guitar player with the Mark Tempieton Band.....playing an old Yamaha F???.

First... IMHO Glenn is one of the best rhythm guitar players around today but the Yamaha sure did sound great in his hands....but in my hands it was just another older guitar that played well with exceptional lows. I wish I could remember for sure but I think it was a 160? Did Yamaha make a 150?

Made me think of the story about the old violin in an auction that wasn't getting many bids until a master played it, then sold for thousands.

I like the balanced mellow tone and size of my Gibson B-25....it's my favorite guitar to practice with and keep the fingers callused......however it does fall short on volume when playing jams.

I would love to have a B-25; very nice guitar...They made a 150 but I have never seen one..Mine is the FG-160 made in Taiwan..lol..also have a vintage Kay acoustic also....my aunt has it and won't give it back...lol...she loves it..

You get tired of that B-25 let me know...

I would love to have a B-25; very nice guitar..

You get tired of that B-25 let me know...

My B-25 may be up for grabs sometime in the future. I'm trying to cut back on everything from food to toilet paper so I can be the owner of a red spruce topped "Skipper Guitar".

I have played a few Skipper Guitars and must say "they are awesome", the well balanced tone with outstanding lows, smooth playability, exceptional volume and superior craftmanship is the reason "I've Gotta Have One". I think Gruhn in Nashville TN offer Skipper Instruments as well as this site. http://skipperstrings.com/

When its time for the B-25 to go...I'll make sure you know!