IGNORED

Starter Upgrade for an 83..

I have searched for an hour and cant find it. There is a specific bike starter that will bolt right on and work perfectly for the MK1 1st gens. I want to upgrade to a 4 brush starter if I am taking the thing off.

Anyone have any links or info as to what bikes have a better starter that bolt right on our bikes?

I have searched for an hour and cant find it. There is a specific bike starter that will bolt right on and work perfectly for the MK1 1st gens. I want to upgrade to a 4 brush starter if I am taking the thing off.

Anyone have any links or info as to what bikes have a better starter that bolt right on our bikes?

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/index.php

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=61-412&pmc=ODVZYW1YVloxMjAw

Hey Tim,

Far be it for me to suggest that a brand new 4 brush VMAX starter for $220.00 plus shipping would last a LONG time and give you a bunch of sure starts, BUT, if you brought your bike to the "little shop by the creek" I would suggest that you verify the condition of the brushes in your present two brush starter, (and replace them if they were close to gone) and do the "Dingy" starter brush plate Ground Mod instead. You would be spending less than half the money, and the results would be nearly the same. Sure starts for pretty much the rest of the life of your bike. Like I said, if you wanted to throw $220.00 plus at a new VMAX starter, by all means, be my guest, BUT for the cost of a good brush set from Yamaha, (don't even bother with the "junk" brushes from EBAY) and a few inches of copper wire, you can make your present starter just as dependable as the "fancy" four brush unit for a fraction of the cost. The other thing I wanted to mention is that not ALL of the VMAXes came with the four brush starter, so you would need to "shop wisely" when purchasing a used VMAX starter. Here is the link to the Starter Ground Upgrade Mod from Dingy:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46890

I hope you find this information useful, and good luck with this project which ever way you decide to go.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished doing the starter ground upgrade on my 83VR. Also replaced the factory wires with #6 cable from a piece of SJO cord I got from the scrap pile. Since I did this the bike has never sounded so good when starting. It use to turn very slow when cranking, not anymore. Cost of the upgrade was less than 10$ for the #6 terminals, wire was free.