IGNORED

Dover Delaware

Pilot

My wife may be transfered to Dover Air Force Base in a few months. She's not sure if this will happen but in case it does maybe those who live around there can tell me what town/towns to look for a house in. We prefer to live in a small town but not more then say 30 miles from the base. I plan on doing some looking online first to get some idea of what we are in for. How are the property values doing in this location. We don't have any heart ach over this move since we are not really happy in Del Rio, it's a real nice little town but you have to travel 150 miles to do any real shopping or to get to a hospital with the ability to take care of more then a sliver.

That is a ver nice area. For years I worked for Goodyear racing and was at the track for a week twice a year. I made quite a few very good friends there. Great area to go. My friends live 1 town north of Dover in Symyna and another friend is south of that. Lots of great stuff to do. If you like racing you will be in heaven. Few Small tracks there as well as Dragstrips. Remember the big track. Good riding there too. A ride to Rohobeth Beach to the south or even down to Virginia Beach. Cape May to the north. Deleware is a no sales tax state so that is a big plus and prices are moderate. In the summer it gets a little humid so that is a draw back but not too bad. Fishing is great and you have the bay or the ocean. Sports you are close to Philly or Washington. Over all I think it would be a great place to live.

Small towns in the area are Milford, Harrington, Smyna, Magnolia & a host of others. All within 30 miles of Dover. Lots of shopping in Dover along Rt 13. Property values are rather low in this area but on the rise because a lot of people are retiring to Delaware. Property values much higher in the beach area & to the north. I live in PA but have a place in Lewes, DE. Also belong to Star Touring & Riding Chapter 165.Delaware is a no sales tax state & property taxes are very low.Riding in this area is good when you get away from the populated areas. Eastern shore area is cool. Roads are flat and mostly staight.All in all I think you will like it.

Delaware is a pretty nice state, for all the reasons above. I drive through there every time I go visit my folks. Actually I've been trying to get them to move down to Delaware. Anyway hope it all goes well. The little towns are very nice. Seems like most of the shopping centers are on 13 which is the main drag, plus they have their turnpike 1 which makes things a bit faster. Use to take forever to get through Dover.

Sorry for rambling, let us know if you do end up there.

Margaret

WELCOME TO DELAWARE " The First State ". Dover is the capitol of the State and Wilmington is the largest city, 45 miles north of Dover. Come and enjoy 4 seasons of weather, good food, nice people and the above mention comments. :bighug:

:bighug:

I have been doing a bit of research about Delaware online and my wife has been there a few times on business. She knows about the outlet malls and such. House prices are comperable to what we are used to 200k to 225k, but I have noticed that most of the homes I have looked at online only have a one car garage.......STRANGE......

The move if it happens won't be until January or Februrary of 08, but we will know about a month before. We are hoping it works out since Dover is a days drive from my wife's mothers place in upstate NY and she is getting up there in age. Its also only a days ride to Myrtle Beach (bike week and my sisters) so all in all it's a good middle. We don't know exactly where we want to end up when the wife decides to retire we just know we want to be on the East coast. We do know that Del Rio is going to be as short a stop in our life as possible.

All we have to worry about when the time comes is selling our place here, the market seams to be good but there building dozens of new homes in the area and that could be a good or bad thing for sellers. A good thing because the new ones are 20 to 40k more then what we paid, bad because theres lots to choose from. When we moved here there were very few available.

Oh my Beautiful State. I hail from southern Delaware. About 26 miles from Dover, between a Half hour to 45 minute drive, 'pending on traffic. Well as far as One Car stables, it because any home over about 20 years old only had one car and a pick up. and both stayed outside while the Garage stored all the junk. You may find a few older smaller places in less desirable places for that price, but your looking at closer to 275K and up for something nice. if your looking for nice towns with that home town feel I would stay south and west of Rt13. I had a nice ride into DC for the 25th Anniversary of the Wall... A nice brisk ride this AM with a little drizzle. And we have some real good riding in theses parts.

"closer to 275K and up for something nice".:mo money:

HOLY #$&% that's up there. I don't think we will fork out that much. From what I have look at online, for 22 to 24H sq/ft, 5 to 9 years old, any where from 1/4 to 1 acre the price goes from 210 to 245K. We will have to look around if we end up there. It's hard to see what your getting when you are online shopping.

Something nice is going to be it, we will have to wait and see. Most people we have talked to say the same thing you did, stay South.