IGNORED

Credit Cards

Gray Ghost

If you use credit cards, check with your companies and see if they offer calling you as part of their fraud protection service. I got a text message this evening from the card company I use the most. Some lowlife was in New York trying to buy $400 worth of tickets on the Long Island RR with my credit card. Now I will have to go through the hassle of changing some of my stuff around, but at least they caught it before it got worse.

I did not call back about the text message until I had verified the number as actually being from the company. I am glad they offer the service and wish I could catch the so and so that stole my number. Hope none of you ever need this info.

Fraud protection is generally standard with most larger card issuers, and it saved our ass on more than one occasion. Another good idea is to make a photocopy of the front and back of all cards you carry in your wallet, and keep it in a safe place in the event your wallet is lost or stolen. That way you'll have ready access to all of the account numbers and bank phone numbers you'll need to freeze or suspend them until you get them changed out. I carry 2 personal cards and one corporate card, plus a debit card, drivers license, AAA card, AARP card, and a few others, and there's nothing more aggravating then trying to locate all of these numbers after the fact to start making these calls.

I used one of our cards to order some stuff from Amazon.com on black Friday. We havent used this card in almost a year. About 10 minutes after placing the order someone from the card's fraud division called us to verify the cards use. I was sure glad to see they were on the ball.

For those of you that do long trips, make sure you call your Credit Card Company (CCC) first. Often times the CCC fraud computers will shut off a card if they see it being used in several states over a short period of time.

However, if you call them ahead of time, they will input the expected states you will be in and the time frame you will be travelling. No more shut off problem.

RR

I have had my card used a few times over the last 15 years and so far the card company has been very good about it.

Several years ago I was checking into a Hotel in Miami, Fl and about 10 minutes earlier I had checked into a Hotel in New York City. Told you them 2nd gens were fast.

Also two years ago the card company called and wanted to know if I was going to Tahiti. Seems that I had booked a Resort there and had also bought airline tickets to get there.

I've also had the company call when I made some rather large charges and they wanted to verify the charge.

I never know if these people get caught or not but I hope so.

Just another little sign of the times we have to deal with in this modern tech world.

BOO

It works for me.

I travel for work and I have an account with MrsSquid on it....

Well the credit card company calls me when they see charges from the same day in two different geographical areas......

It is a PITA to answer the call and go through the security checks, but it is worth it to keep some lowlife from stealing....

Used a card (which I rarely do) in Victoria B.C. and got a call from MC a week later asking if I were buying anything in New Delhi India. Had to fill out some forms but they took care of everything.

Similar thing happened to me. Used the card a couple times in Michigan. Someone was using my card playing Poker on line the next day and I got a phone call asking me if I was using it, when i said no the card was cut off and they wanted me to fill out a form. They racked up 800 bucks before the called me and they reversed the charges.

Sent me a new card express. Have to wonder how many million plastic cards are made each year.

BRad