IGNORED

Motherboard or Processor??

Kirby

Ok, for all you computer nerds out there, here's a question that I am trying to figure out. Is there a way to tell whether the problem is my motherboard or if it's the processor. Several months ago lightning ran in on my computer and killed it. I think it was just static electricity and not a direct hit with lightning. There was a pop and it died but this was while the computer was turned off and unplugged. Anyway, I took it to a place for insurance estimate and they told me it was either the motherboard or the processor. Insurance paid off, but I never had it fixed. Now I've decided to try to fix it myself. I did mange to salvage my harddrive to another computer so all data was saved. I'd just like to tinker with this one. So, ya'll get your thinking caps on and see what you can come up with.

Its hard to tell for sure without testing, but my money would be on the mother board popped something. Most of the power hits the board and through the capacitors etc before if gets to the processor.

Prices now are cheap to buy a motherboard with a processor included from places like tigerdirect.com or ncix.com then ya dont have to worryor mess around wondering about the issue.

Look here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6824566&Sku=B69-5134 motherboard and processor 59.99

Brian

My bet is the power supply is fried if it was a lightning strike and the unit was off at the time.

That's what I thought a first so that was the first thing I replaced. After that I took it to the service repair place.

I think it was just static electricity and not a direct hit with lightning. There was a pop and it died but this was while the computer was turned off and unplugged. .

Assuming just power was unplugged, maybe internet connection still plugged in? Start by just removing modem/eithernet card, maybe it is fried and locking up CPU. If true static damage could be both motherboard and cpu-good luck.

Most lightning surges that kill computers come through the phone line, and remember DSL is a phone line.

the only way to try a different processor, or try the old processor in a different motherboard. I know for most you don't spares of these just sitting around.

So replace both, odds are if it was a surge from lightning it got both anyway.