IGNORED

Just Hit 18,000 on my 880's!

Bobby G

Can't wait to see my tire guy in Woodstock, who told me I'd never get more than 12,000 on my new Metzler's when I got them back in February. When I told him that I had over 15K on the first set, he said my records must have been wrong, or that I was just yankin his chain.

Well, I just turned 18K on this set yesterday, and there is still some pretty good tread life left on them, maybe another 2,000 or 3,000 before it hits the wear indicator, especially on the front. I'll likely get new rubber again in February anyway, but these Marathon 880's have been great tires for my '99 RSV. I run about 60/40 between surface roads and highway, and on the surface roads, it's about 50/50 between country roads and mountain riding.

Everyone has their own preference, but there is no denying the great mileage and performance I'm getting, now on two sets in a row.

Glad you got good mileage, but do yourself a favor and keep a check on those tires. They don't seem to do as well on the RSV as other bikes. Too many of the folks here have had them chunk out on them.

Margaret

Thanks Margaret. I do check them all the time for signs of that, but so far they are A-OK.

Can't say anything about the Metzelers, as I've never run them.

@ Okiestar, keep an eye on those Avons.....they are prone to cracking and splitting. THOSE, I DO have experience with.

I ran Avons for 30,000 miles with no cracking issues. Just a little experience balance. *shrugs*

Glad to have some good reports on ME880s. Thanks Bobby G.

Dave

Nice. Got your road surface ratio and pilot//co pilot ratio, what psi do you run them?

I just replaced the OEM bridgestones with Avons. Looked at the Metzlers though, as well as the Dunlop Elites.

I've always kept 38 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear, and check it weekly. I also keep 0 psi in the front forks and 25 psi in the rear shock, but I'm not sure that has any bearing on tread wear. If we are riding two up for any duration, I will up the rear shock to 35 or 40 psi.

One other consideration is that I always ask Ken at Ken's Motorcycle Tires in Woodstock to order my tires for both bikes from the factory or his distributor, and not use any from current inventory, which may have an older production date on them. I want as fresh tires as possible. He's very accommodating that way.