IGNORED

when it rains

warriorhoneybee

well just finished the rear brakes getting ready to change out the final drive oil when lo and behold i find this(i know better to find at home that on the road)http://www.venturerider.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=800&pictureid=5051 the problem is the tire is already cupping has fairly good tread but riding two up with gear to tybee island will a plug be enough or not? dont have the money for a new tire, and yes when i pulled it out air started pouring out so i put back in until i plug it. would like some feed back, thanks

Well, I hate plugging a tire and seldom do so but I have in the past. My decision was always based upon the location of the puncture and the size of the hole. In my humble opinion, that one is in a great location to be plugged. If it was up on the sidewall, I would say to not do it but that one is in the center of the tread and not a large hole. To be honest, that tire looks close enough to being worn out that I would probably replace it anyway but if it came down to plugging it or not riding, I would plug it.

I plugged a Metzler hears ago on my Harley FXRD that had a nail in almost the exact same place as that one. The tire was only a week old and I just decided that I wasn't going to throw it away. That plug ended up lasting the normal life of the tire.

I agree that there aren't many miles left on that tire but the location is perfect for a plug. Caught a screw on a practically new tire on my xs750 and it ran the life of the tread as Freebird experienced. NEVER in a side wall but in the "meat" of a tire is THE spot for it.

if you are going to plug it it needs to be done with a plugpatch not a straight plug I have had several plugpatched tires on the blonde and not had a problem with any of them. then again most of mine were done by my dealer who is very picky when he does it and will not do any that he thinks is questionable.

Jeff

If you decide to do what Muffin man said, you may as well just replace the tire.

As mentioned above, this one is listed in the classifieds and it appears the tire is about in the same shape as yours tread wise..With this one you get the entire rear wheel already mounted.

You would have a spare rear wheel and have lots of time getting it ready for your next change out.. I have an extra rear wheel assembly in my shop for my GW ready to install when needed..

Rear Wheel Assembly , Tire & Wheel [ Tire Is Wore ] $100.00 O.B.O.

thanks for the info and your right if i'm gonna patch it the right way i may as well just buy a tire so i just put a straight plug in it and hope for the best. i did get to change out my final drive oil and glad i did. wasn't much shavings in it than again there wasn't much oil in it either,guess i should of checked it more freq. i put 75-90 syn blend in it and hope thats ok. i'm sure there be pleanty of feed back on that. hope i'm ready for the trip to tybee island!!! new rear brakes, bleed the fluid out,new final drive oil and o yes the new patch.(still bad steering bearon)