IGNORED

Little Red Dome Light

GolfVenture

I have an 89 VR and there is a little round, dome, red light on my faring, just to the right of the Cassette cover near the open vents that are around the handlebar. Can someone tell me what it is for. It is the size of maybe the diameter of a 10 gage wire. The Venture is a standard VR so there are no add on accessories. I checked the manuel with no luck.

It has 2 thin blue wires that goes to a small plastic box with an led display, when you turn on the key an I or a 1 shows up on the left. The small box has the word King Cobra on it. There are about 8 or so more wires, the same size as the small blue wires, that connects to it.

I contacted the seller and he is going to contact his friend the origional owner. Hopefully he'll remember.

Hear a picture of this King Cobra. I do not think it is a radar detector because most detectors are positioned behind glass to pick up the signel. Unless radar signels can go thru the fairing to be detected. The thought that it maybe an alarm sounds reasonable. I'm expecting that it will be a few days before I hear back from eithor the origional or 2nd owner.

Hear a picture of this King Cobra. I do not think it is a radar detector because most detectors are positioned behind glass to pick up the signel. Unless radar signels can go thru the fairing to be detected. The thought that it maybe an alarm sounds reasonable. I'm expecting that it will be a few days before I hear back from eithor the origional or 2nd owner.

That does kinda look like an alarm to me, but what do I know....:think:

Brian

Cobra motorcycle alarms were very popular in the late eighties and into the 90's. Although they are still being produced, the Gorilla alarms seem to have surpassed them in popularity since then, for motorcycles. They did produce a "King Cobra" car alarm at that time (and still do for that matter) so it's quite possible that there was a "King Cobra" motorcycle version as well. If I remember correctly, they were considered to be "top of the line" systems back then. Don't really know where they stand now.

Edited by darthandy
added something

• 5 months later...

While working on another project I found a loose connector with a red wire about the size of telephone wire and traced it back into the left faring compartment where there is an in line fuse. So I took the end and touched it to the positive battery terminal and a very high pitch beep when off for one quick beep.

This must be the alarm's positive wire. I found the beep speaker velcored on the left inner side of the faring near the front forks.

So with the red wire hooked to the positive terminal I turned the handel bar and locked it with the key. A Red light on the far left of the LED goes on the alarm box inside the faring. Then a few seconds later the red dome light as initially discribed in this thread goes on. So I then giggled the VR hoping to set the alarm off but nothing.

Any one have any thought as to what might need fixen.