IGNORED

Anyone replaced a freeze plug?

I have had a slow "weep" of antifreeze for a while in my "99. Just a drop or two over a couple of days. Pulled the cooling fin off the left rear cylinder and found a leaking "special plug" (description from the Yamaha parts breakdown). It appears to be a rubber plug with a steel core that has internal threads. Has anyone had this problem and are there instructions available for removal and installation?

One fix that worked for me and a few others is to tape a metal shim to the boss inside the fin cover where it goes against the plug. Then when you put the fin covers on, that pushes the plug in a little farther and seals up the leak. Mine used to start leaking about this time of year when it got cooler. I'd go out in the morning and find a few drops on the floor. The first year I didn't do anything about it. Then the next summer it quit doing it. Then come fall it started up again, and I did this shim fix.

The service manual says to thread a spark plug into the threads of the rubber plug and pull the plug out. To install them is the reverse. Just be careful when you push them in that you push straight in and don't pinch the rubber. I replaced mine when I drained the coolant at the two year service interval. The cost was about $12.00 for the four of them.

I have just removed my left rear fins to get to the clutch bleed valve. I noticed while the cover was off the plug started leaking.

I took the advice to add a shim and tightened the fins back on and solved the problem.

Thanks to all for the input. I will try the shim fix for the short term and I have ordered a plug to replace the leaking one. Talked to the Yamaha Tech. at Riders Edge in Gettysburg, he recommends only replacing the plug that is leaking. If the other 3 ain't broke, don't fix them.

Thanks again,

Fitz

Putting vaseline, an oil based product, or most any other kind of grease on rubber will cause it to break down and fail prematurely. If you want to do this, use a synthetic grease designed to be used on rubber. A specialty brake supply shop will have it, if not the regular parts houses.

I noticed a few drops of coolant on the driveway last week before putting my bike away for the winter. Put the bike in the heated storage area and now it isn't leaking. I thought I would post my problem ...must be ESP ...solution came before I posted the problem.

THANKS!!!