Well, I just bought a 1987 Venture Royale with only 59,000 km (about 36,875 miles) on it. Seems the guy I bought it from put 40,000 of those km's on it over the past 6 years so he took care of all the "rotting while it sat unused problems" (I hope). He had the valves adjusted and the carbs cleaned and balanced 10,000 km ago and just put new tires (Metzelers) and brakes on it. Now to my problem...a rock knocked a small hole in the headlight cover 4 years ago and the owner put clear silicone seal on it right away. It seems to have kept out water, etc. but I would still like to replace it. There are a number of them for sale on ebay. Most are '83's to '84's but there are also two '86's. I know there were a number of changes made in '86 and I was wondering which other year of cover might fit besides the '87. Any help would be appreciated.

Now to my problem...a rock knocked a small hole in the headlight cover 4 years ago and the owner put clear silicone seal on it right away. It seems to have kept out water, etc. but I would still like to replace it. There are a number of them for sale on ebay. Most are '83's to '84's but there are also two '86's. I know there were a number of changes made in '86 and I was wondering which other year of cover might fit besides the '87. Any help would be appreciated.

83-85 has a rubber tunnel & glass in front of the headlight. 86-93 it is a headlight only.

So, by the sounds of it, you are looking for a headlight unit.

...for the info guys. I think I'll have to take this apart, Rocket. I had a look at the unit and it sure looks like there is a lens ending a couple of inches from the bottom of what seems to be a cover (Which is the "holey part".) The '86 part on ebay only showed what looks like a cover with no headlight attached. And so, the fun begins!

Hey Andy. Welcome to the forum. Like you, I bought a 1st gen VR after owning many other bikes and I am amazed at how much I like the VR as well as this forum (hope you become a supporting membver). Sounds like you found a good one. Where are you in Ontario? Also, I have a spare headlight cover, although it has been marked but not penetrated by a stone.

Well, I just bought a 1987 Venture Royale with only 59,000 km (about 36,875 miles) on it. Seems the guy I bought it from put 40,000 of those km's on it over the past 6 years so he took care of all the "rotting while it sat unused problems" (I hope). He had the valves adjusted and the carbs cleaned and balanced 10,000 km ago and just put new tires (Metzelers) and brakes on it. Now to my problem...a rock knocked a small hole in the headlight cover 4 years ago and the owner put clear silicone seal on it right away. It seems to have kept out water, etc. but I would still like to replace it. There are a number of them for sale on ebay. Most are '83's to '84's but there are also two '86's. I know there were a number of changes made in '86 and I was wondering which other year of cover might fit besides the '87. Any help would be appreciated.

The headlight lens on a MKII (86-93) is not easy to remove from the headlight body. Just buy the entire housing off Ebay....

Ditto. They can be removed and some probably come off easier than others, but they are also easy to crack or chip when trying to get the lens off. The headlight unit shows up on ebay fairly routinely and sometimes go cheap or they get bid up a bit. If you don't need it real quickly, just watch ebay and see what pops up, or we may have a member on here that has one.

RandyA

...randya, condor and evan. Useful info to know. I guess I'll start watching more closely although right now I only find the cover itself, even when searching for "Venture headlight unit". Fortunately, the bike passed our province's required "safety check" in order to change over the ownership so there is no great rush. The hole is small and low and seems to have no noticeable effect on night-time lighting. Interesting note...the guy I bought it from says the hole was caused by a rock thrown up by another vehicle on his way to Whitehorse in the Yukon 4 years ago. He only sold it now because he and his wife are doing only short runs and so he bought a new Suzuki Vstrom.

Oh yeah, Evan...I'm down in the peninsula in Welland so we may have a chance to get together some time and compare notes. Also, I wouldn't mind having you take a look at my machine just to see if the various sounds and vibrations are normal. I ran it down from Newmarket yesterday in very high winds and was pleased at how well it handled them. Weight has its advantages at times, I guess...at least till I try on some old pants that I haven't worn in a while! I'm anxious to try it without 50 to 70 kph side gusts just to see how it tracks under more normal conditions.

Can't believe you couldn't find this one....

VENTURE HEADLIGHT

What can I say...it didn't show up in my "Venture headlight unit" search. Fortunately, there are kind souls like you (with seemingly a lot of time on their hands) who have a way of digging out these little gems. Too bad they don't have a "Buy Now" on this. I hate suspense...well, other than in movies.

What can I say...it didn't show up in my "Venture headlight unit" search. Fortunately, there are kind souls like you (with seemingly a lot of time on their hands) who have a way of digging out these little gems. Too bad they don't have a "Buy Now" on this. I hate suspense...well, other than in movies.

Those of us that are broke... :mo money: have to make time. The reason you didn't get it to come up was you added 'unit' to your search. Sometimes less is more.... :)

http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0511-0811-0316-4941_Cartoon_of_a_Man_With_Empty_Pockets_clipart_image.jpg

By the way, here's a quick shot of the new machine Assuming I've done the pic attachment coorectly). It needs a few bits worked on, but still looks good. It seems to run well, but after my Sprint 900, it feels so different that I can't be sure how normal things are. For instance, I have some vibration at 3,500 rpm that I feel through the right foot peg. As well, it seems reluctant to rev over 7,000. although I haven't really had a chance to run it in non-windy weather. Hopefully, when I can meet with another owner, I'll have a better idea of it's running condition. Right now I'm trying to figure out if the right side panel is supposed to be so loose or if something is detached or broken. Another winter project...and I haven't even started on my Sprint yet! Ah the pleasures of older bikes...sure keeps the days from getting boring!

Edited by darthandy
Spelling, spelling...

• 3 weeks later...