IGNORED

How to replace inside piece of fairing

Had a little incident with my bike & need to replace the fairing, maybe both the front cowling and the front panel (or inner piece). The front cowling comes off easy by just removing a bunch of screws, no problem.

How about the front panel inside piece? How much of the wiring has to be disconnected to remove that piece? I could run out & take a look but it's late & I'm here so thought I'd ask!

Is it just a matter of unscrewing the headlight, tape deck, etc and then lifting it off over all the wiring while still connected? Or does the wiring have to be disconnected one by one and fed thru holes in that piece?

Just wondering how big of a job that would be :confused07:...of course if I do it, the tape deck will NOT be reinstalled!...I'll be hitting up Ponch for a set of gauges instead!

THe inner fairing is held on by several bolts. The headlight bucket needs to be removed. You can download a service manual from this site or look at a parts fisch for bolt locations. There is a spring clip holding the end of the headlight adjustment knob to the headlight assembly which is best accessed with a long pair of needle nose pliers, coming in from the left side. Wiring also needs to be disconnected. Mark each wire with a piece of masking tape with matching numbers so it makes plugging them back together easier. Also a good time to get some electrical connection cleaner and clean each connection and add some dialectric grease. Im sure others will chime in with suggestions as well.

I is a true PITA to remove, but not hard. As said by Ruffy, label eveything just to make your life easier. However, Yamaha did a nice job by having everything connectorized - and all the connectors are different. Very difficult to mix something up.

Pay very close attention to the proper routing of the wiring.

While the fairing is off is a good time to check and retighten your steering head. Depending on the mileage, it might even be time to check and relube the steering head bearings. There is a member on here that makes a spanner specifically for tightening the neck bearing nuts. Check the classifieds. Or if you are nice, one of us might let you borrow the tool.:smile5:

Good luck. Done it twice and it was a pain, but was successful - so it can't be too hard.

RR

I have had mine apart a few times and it's not that bad but I would suggest you take some pictures of how things are so you have a guide to put it back. Does anyone have a link or anything for the wrench to tighten the head bolt? I need to do mine and want to get one and can't seem to find him on here? Thank

Thanks guys. Sounds like it'll be a bit of a chore but is doable. When I'm done riding for the year, I'll pull off the outer fairing & decide if I need to do the inner as well.

Ponch: if I decide to replace that piece, it's yours...I'll let you know.