IGNORED

First gen - FIRST gear out.

83? Likely dropped pin from shift cam. Pull clutch cover and clutch basket to verify. Replace entire cam with later model solid cam which does not use sheet steel to hold the pins in. Likey need new pin/s and missing pin likely in oil pan.

There is a post somewhere here about it, thats how I found and fixed my 3rd, 4th, 5th gear.

Hey Kelly,

You didn't mention if it was an MKI (1983 to 1985) or MKII(1986 to 1993) VR. The Gasket set for the rebuild is a bit pricey.

If it is the MKII VR, I have a complete motor with 50,XXX miles on it. Ther are no extra items on it. (NO starter, Carbs. Exhausts, TCI, etc.) The battery overflow tube came off the battery so there is some "not so shiney" paint on the right cylinder head but other than that, it was a running motor. This would be a strait engine swap, instead of pulling your motor and cracking the cases. $100.00 and it's yours. I live in south central Pa.

I was saving this motor to replace the motor in my 87'VR, but it sounds like you need it more than I do.:confused24:

Earl