IGNORED

Hair Question for the Ladies

The last time my wife rode was about 27 years ago. I recently purchased an 89 VR. The one thing my wife dreads is the helmet hair. She has shoulder length hair and she kinda of rolls her hair into a ball then puts the helmet on. My questions is, in 27 years, has there been any new hair tricks for women who hates Helmet hair.

Here is an article I found while looking into this for my wife.

Helmet Hair

Guest Author - Nancy Brotherton

There is nothing sexier than a man or woman with long beautiful hair cascading down their necks and back. Commercials of a sexy female pulling off her helmet and shaking out her glorious hair may be alluring, but in reality that is seldom the case. In fact, if she was riding for a significant time in that commercial, her hair would usually be somewhat flat, maybe frizzy, and most certainly tangled. Riding a motorcycle poses specific problems for those of us with longer hair.

To begin with, if you don’t somehow contain your locks, they will blow all over, in your face, eyes, and mouth and whip around you like snakes. When you get done with your ride you may feel like a Medusa, with tightly coiled serpents hanging off your head and that is just the hair that is outside the helmet. The crown of your head is usually matted down, sweaty, and dull. If you are not wearing a helmet, good luck with combing out that mess.

There are several ways to prevent some of the hair riding issues and also some good methods to recover.

One preventive measure you can take is to use a product like “BioSilk Silk Therapy System” which contains silicone. It coats your hair, so that when you brush it out, the tangles fall out easily without breakage or pain and it also protects against UV rays and moisture. I use this and my hair is always smooth, shiny, and easy to comb.

You should always wear a bandana or lid cover on your head when wearing a helmet. This will wick away the moisture and keep you from getting your hair caught in your helmet. Be careful when selecting a cover because if they have seams or raised areas on them, they can press against your forehead and give you a crushing headache. You want them to be smooth and thin.

There are many ways to draw your hair back in a low hanging ponytail and for even added tangle protection, braid your hair and wear a cloth or leather cover on your braid. The one I use is called the hair glove, a little pricey but worth every penny and mine has lasted for four years and showing no wear. You can also use several coated rubber bands and secure them along your ponytail to prevent flapping and tangles, these work just as well but are awkward taking out later and can cause hair breakage.

Always keep a wide tooth comb and vented airbrush available to smooth out the locks when you get to your destination so that you are always looking your riding best.

My wife wears this http://www.whitehorsegear.com/silky-motorcycle-helmet-liner to cut down on helmet itch and not matte her hair down so much. It won't help with tangled hair that is outside of the helmet, but I know that there are leather pony tail holders/braid holders that should take care of that problem.

Of course, she could do like I do and just not worry about it, we're riding for crying out loud and will probably never see any of those people again anyway.:rasberry:

Helmet hair, bugs in the teeth, racoon face, the occasional dust speck in the eye, or the bee slipping into your shirt, etc are all part and parcel of the natural sequence of riding a bike.... :smile5:

Helmet hair, bugs in the teeth, racoon face, the occasional dust speck in the eye, or the bee slipping into your shirt, etc are all part and parcel of the natural sequence of riding a bike.... :smile5:
You left out the smell of exhaust in your beard even hours after getting off the bike

:big-grin-emoticon:

From sittng at traffic lights.... not some ill concieved idea that its from following a secnd gen . . . as if that could ever happen :doh: