IGNORED

habor feight tire changer experts

latchkey

tryen to get a hf tire changer from online . i can not find the motorcycle adapter anywhere on the site. i know alot of you have them, can you point me to a part number or web page showing them. i called a hf store and they need a part number to find them? nice knowing thier on top of there supply and inventory , said she -can not help with out part number and i said web page not showing it and she said sorry.maybe they stoped making it? seen a portable motorcyle stand on ebay for $79.00 but cant find anyone that has one to say good or bad . its a copy of hf i think.

Here's the one part: http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-34542.html

The motorcycle tire changer was here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42927

(I had it in my wish list)

I say "was", because it isn't on the website any more and searching for part 42927 shows three related parts, but not the motorcycle tire changer.

I think it is gone.

Dave

I have one of those. In my mind it is a piece of junk. They had the same thing for sale here at Princess Auto but they took it off the market because of poor qualityy. So I got mine from Harbor Freight. The clamps dont work on our tires unless you take off the rotors and really isnt a convienent option in my mind. They require some modification that I am unskilled at doing.

I ended up get tire irons and changing my tires that way....it sure was easy.

latchkey

if you read sgn's post and his attachments....you will see how easy it is to use the motorcycle attachment, and how well it works.........i also purchased the mojo tire tool and blocks.....which make it easier to use, and protects my rims.......i've changed tires on my venture and the harley i had..........plus all my and family's car tires........i'm pleased with it.....

latchkey

if you read sgn's post and his attachments....you will see how easy it is to use the motorcycle attachment, and how well it works.........i also purchased the mojo tire tool and blocks.....which make it easier to use, and protects my rims.......i've changed tires on my venture and the harley i had..........plus all my and family's car tires........i'm pleased with it.....

Agree with the mojo blocks and bar. Ive also adapted the clamps with a 2" angle bar to raise them high enough not to have to remove the rotor anymore. After all the adaptation and additional tools bought I think I would have just got this if it was available when i boought the hf changer.

http://www.cyclehilltirechanger.com/

Edited by Jercoupe

I have one of those. In my mind it is a piece of junk. They had the same thing for sale here at Princess Auto but they took it off the market because of poor qualityy. So I got mine from Harbor Freight. The clamps dont work on our tires unless you take off the rotors and really isnt a convienent option in my mind. They require some modification that I am unskilled at doing.

Well I guess you should sell yours to someone who cannot buy a new one now?

Personally I think it is an excellent tool for the cost. I have changed close to 100 tires on mine (many for members on this site), and I have not made a single modification or bought any additional tools. It is very quick and easy to use IF you know what you are doing with it and remember to properly lube the tire (BOTH the one coming off and the new one!).

Our rear wheel fits it fine without removing the brake rotor - you simply need to make sure none of the bolts that hold the rotor are on top of the tool arms.

I personally do not mind removing the front rotors - it takes only about 1 minute per side with my air ratchet, and it protects the rotors. I have changed a couple with the top rotor still in place, but frankly, I just don't like having to be so danged extra cautious about not accidentally applying some pressure to that rotor and ruining it. Especially when I am helping others change tires, I do not want any chance at all that they could develop and problem with a warped rotor and think that maybe I did it! So if I am going to remove one rotor no matter what, I cannot see any negative at all to removing both of them.

I would like to have one of those fancy bars with the nylon ends, but at the stupid ridiculous prices they want, ain't no darned way I'm ever going to buy one. Instead I just slip the side of a plastic shampoo bottle between the rim and the bar and grab that with the bar so it slides around under the bar. Simple and it adds only about 10 seconds to the job.

Although I have changed many many motorcycle tires with irons alone, this machine is a joy to use and so much easier. And I would caution anyone who uses that method to be sure to support the wheel on a couple of long 4x4s to ensure the brake rotors never touch the ground. There are few better ways to damage a rotor than simply leaning on one side of the rim when the rotor is touching the floor!

Goose

lol.

But, gee, remember its me trying this thing out! I had my tongue in so many differant positions that wife thought I was becoming a politician!

Next spring I am due for a rear tire change and will give it a go again...no worries. I do read the tips and tried a few of them. I did use the bead breaker and all though....it was slick.

I do appreciate further advice. Like just how careful does one have to be when removing the rotors?

lol.

But, gee, remember its me trying this thing out! I had my tongue in so many differant positions that wife thought I was becoming a politician!

Next spring I am due for a rear tire change and will give it a go again...no worries. I do read the tips and tried a few of them. I did use the bead breaker and all though....it was slick.

I do appreciate further advice. Like just how careful does one have to be when removing the rotors?

There is really no way you can damage the rotors by taking them off - the risk is when they are on the rim and something pushes against them.

The only thing special about removing the rotors is to mark the position so that you put the same rotor on the same side in the same orientation (best insurance that runout will not be different). Other than that, taking them off is no different than removing any other bolts. When putting them back on, be sure to use blue locktite and not exceede the torque spec (it's quite low, and an air ratchet will instantly over-torque them!).

I mentioned using tire lube (such as Ru-Glide) in my post above - this is critical. Although it makes little difference when using tire irons, on a machine the rubber will not slide over the rim without it. And it is every bit as important when taking the old tire off as it is to put the new one on. Some people use oil or other stuff, but I would never consider that, especially on a two wheeled vehicle. If you buy a gallon of rubber lube at the auto parts store it will last seven lifetimes. Ru-Glide used to be about $20 a gallon, but the NAPA house brand was more like $7.

Lastly, you have to make sure the bead on the bottom of the rim is NOT hung up on the rim shoulder as you try to get the top bead to slide on or off. If it is not pushed up into the center of the rim, the tire will not have the ability to move sideways enough to allow the bead to easily slip over the rim, even with lube.

Goose

thanks to all for your info, i found some on ebay that are with tire adapter for $114.00 plus shipping. ordered it. yes they stoped making the adapter??? i got one of the few left out there that another company had ordered them and have but a few left. thanks for the how to and tips im sure i`ll need them.

Yesterday on the way to wife doctor appointment, stopped at MY local harbor freight in Bowling Green Ky to see it they have a Mctire changer on the shelf. They had only display model, and I didn't have time to track down manager to see if I could by the display.

2 hours later I was back and ready to buy, and display was gone! I thought no way, and found the manager.

Manager said they had the last one from display in the back on hold for someone from Clarksville TN to pick up, and to call back tomorrow(today) to see if it had been picked up or had a new one on the truck due in.

Called today, and manager said I miss understood, and that they gentleman from Clarksville was supposed to pick it up on Saturday, or they would put it back on the self Sunday, and they had not finished unpacking truck, but apparently we know there will not be one on the truck.

Geeze, talk about service, hold item at MY store for someone not even from here, for days:doh:

Just wondering if gentleman from Clarksville was on vr.org? If so congrats, ya just barley beat me.:thumbsup:

PS, if it's still there Monday its mine.

Now I guess I will have to weld up my own. Can anyone provide pics and measurments?

I ended up get tire irons and changing my tires that way....it sure was easy.

My son bought one of these for his crotch rocket. I tried using it on my tires and like a previous post, you have to take off the brake rotors. Not very high quality. Actually it's a p-o-s. I used tire irons. They work faster and better. Now his balancer that he got from Harbor Frieght works like a charm. Do yourself a favor, get a nice set of tire irons and a small deadblow or rubber mallet. Use a little liquid dish soap on the bead and the tire will slip on the rim. I used this method for car tires many times when I was a youngen'. Use the mallet only if needed. Usually a light tap here and there on the tire bead. I did not need it on my last tire change. The irons worked fine. Wipe off excess soap from the bead before inflation.