IGNORED

Can this be done \ CB into Intercom

I'm not to smart when it comes to electronics, but logic tells me that this should be possible.

I have an 85 VR with the radio\cassette, and intercom but no CB. I also have a Uniden Pro 510xl CB with a Mic-Master 'hands free' mic attachment that gives me the push to talk button. (these are used by truckers, mic on the ear, PTT on the gear shift, and takes the place of the mic on the CB).

Can I wire all this into the bike amp to make it work through the intercom speakers and mic?

Carl,

Most CB's have an external speaker port. Either attach another speaker somewhere or maybe use this port to hook into your AUX port on your bike. Do those antiques have an AUX port?? But if you hook it to the AUX port you won't be able to hear anything on the radio or cassette, just the CB.

I don't know if this helps, but...I have a '83 Venture Standard. I installed a Uniden 520xl. I made a "push-to-talk" push button that activates a relay, that I wired into what used to be the microphone push to talk button ( I removed the hand held microphone, and used the wires). So my headset microphone goes to what used to be the handheld microphone wires ( thru the usual headset plugs ), and the Uniden's external speaker jack goes to my headset speakers. I used to have a handbar switch that would switch from the headset speakers to a small external speaker on the handlebars, but I removed it since I always use the headset. I also hooked up another headset plug for the rear seat, with another push to talk button, and made the speaker connections in series. That means both me and my wife can hear incoming, and hear what the other is transmitting. So we use the CB as an intercom, by just going to an empty channel, and using each of our own push to talk buttons to transmit to an empty channel, but the other can hear the transmission, so it is our intercom, but we have to be careful because out intercom talk is actually being transmitted to an empty channel.

I don't know if this helps, but...I have a '83 Venture Standard. I installed a Uniden 520xl. I made a "push-to-talk" push button that activates a relay, that I wired into what used to be the microphone push to talk button ( I removed the hand held microphone, and used the wires). So my headset microphone goes to what used to be the handheld microphone wires ( thru the usual headset plugs ), and the Uniden's external speaker jack goes to my headset speakers. I used to have a handbar switch that would switch from the headset speakers to a small external speaker on the handlebars, but I removed it since I always use the headset. I also hooked up another headset plug for the rear seat, with another push to talk button, and made the speaker connections in series. That means both me and my wife can hear incoming, and hear what the other is transmitting. So we use the CB as an intercom, by just going to an empty channel, and using each of our own push to talk buttons to transmit to an empty channel, but the other can hear the transmission, so it is our intercom, but we have to be careful because out intercom talk is actually being transmitted to an empty channel.

Interesting setup, might try it if I don't have any luck going throught he bikes intercom. Thanks

• 11 months later...

Marcarl,

My dad has a Kawi Voyager on which the Intercom is standard but the CB is optional and his doesn't have it. We found a guy on the web who has done just what you want to do on his Voyager - wired a standard CB into the factory intercom system. Of course the Voyager's system is not exactly the same as the Venture's, but the concept is the same. It involves a handful of electronic parts you can order from Radio Shack's website. He ordered the parts and we laid them out on the little breadboards, but haven't soldered it together yet. The guy is an electrical engineer and says it works on his bike just like the factory system does.

I attached his very complete schematic and some info I compiled on mic pinouts. Maybe it can be adapted.

Jeremy