IGNORED

starting problem

Got on the bike yesterday, turned the key, and the engine would crank but not start. After turning the key on and off a couple of times, it finally started. While riding to lunch, the bike just shut down in the middle of the street. Played with the switches again and eventually it started again.

I got it home and noticed that I wasn't hearing the gas pump clicking when I turned it on. Tested the pump and it is great.

At one point while it was running, I accidently bumped the ignition key and the bike died but the lights stayed on. That is when I noticed a little play in the key. Is it safe to assume that I need a new main switch?

Here are the two main questions....Is there a way to get the switch off without taking the radiator off?

And...Why would the engine crank but not start? (I'm hoping that I don't have another problem.)

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Ignition Switch Failure is very common on the 2nd gen bikes.

Does not seem to be a problem on the 1st gen bikes.

Probably best to order a new one. Try useing some CRC Electrical contact cleaner on the switch in the interum till the new switch arrives.

I don't know what the failure rate is for the ignition switches on the RSTC's, but as george mentioned, it seems to be a common problem with the 2nd gens.

Some have had good luck by disassembling the existing switch, cleaning it and repairing the burnt connectors.

HOWEVER, on what you described:

G...

At one point while it was running, I accidentally bumped the ignition key and the bike died but the lights stayed on ...

I would have to look at a wiring diagram for your particular bike, but since the lights come ON with the key, if your ignition switch was the culprit it doesn't seem likely that your lights would still be on when the bike shut off. If you can crank but not start, again - likely NOT the ignition switch; since if there is a break in the continuity inside the switch you loose the power to the bike all together.

Could it still be a loose connection somewhere in there - sure it is possible.

But, it sounds to me like you need to be checking a few other items as well (fuel pump, grounds, fuse box - for corrosion, etc.)

With respect to your question about getting the switch off without removing the radiator, I don't know for your bike...

:080402gudl_prv: Hopefully you can identify the problem quickly.