IGNORED

Passenger Foot Rest, Snapped Bolts

craigatcsi

My Passenger stepped on the Left Foot Rest to get on the Bike yesterday and snapped one of the screws and bent the other.

So, I have to drill out what's left of one and replace both.

Is this something most dealers will stock or should I just go ahead and order online.

If onliine, do any of you have an idea who to go thru? I've ordered from Dennis Kirk and others for accessories, but not for something this simple. I doubt they would carry such items.

craigr

Since those bolts are not a safety or mechanical engineering item (meaning critical internal engine part), I'd just go to the hardware store and buy cheap replacements. Probably get hardened steel bolts, not just the lowest grade.

Just take out one of the good ones and take it in to find a match. I think Stainless steel would probably be a good choice. I know Ace would have them, and probably any of the big box hardware stores too. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

If for some strange reason you cannot find them locally, just let me know - I can probably pick them up here and mail them to you for about $10.

I briefly thought about doing just that, but one of them is Chrome and they have the Allen Wrench head, so I want them to match.

I doubt a hardware store would carry something like that, right?

craigr

Quite a few do carry those. Ace carries a good selection of both chrome and SS bolts in both metric and SAE. You may have to buy all four if you want them completely identitcal, but you won't know until you look.

Goose

Removing broken bolts is always a risk. In my experience, easy outs rarely work well, no matter if they are Craftsman, HF, or from any place else. They are all prone to break, and the very design generally forces the broken bolt to be expanded and pushed into the old threads as you try to back it out, thus just locking it in harder. But I still try them first.

HF does sell them, and theirs seem to be just as good (or poor) as Craftsman to me - both will break if you are not careful, and both have lifetime warranty.

I'd suggest you also get left-hand drill bits. Sometimes those alone will remove a broken bolt as you are drilling it. Do not try to use the largest possible easy out, as that causes you to drill too big a hole, making the sides very thin, and makes it more likely that the easy out will distort the bolt like I described above. If the bolt does not move fairly easily, then give up on the easy out and go ahead and try to re-tap the hole to the original size. If you are good at keeping the drill properly centered and straight, the tap will usually just chase the old threads and all will be good.

Goose

Craigr,

Check out the Westlake Hardware on 50th and "G" Street. I buy all my needed metric stuff there. One decent selection, probably the best in town. They have a pretty nice selection of chrome stuff to including the allen heads.

If ya get in a bind let me know. I have the tools ya need to get-r-done.

Mike