IGNORED

Calling all I-Phone user's

star4772

I am looking to change carriers and was wondering what all I-Phone users think of the phone and service. I drive truck all over the country and need good coverage as well as all the goodies.

Please tell me what you all think that use I-Phone.

Star4772 :confused24::confused24:

My daughter and son/n law both have iphones. They love the phone features but hate the carrier- AT&T sucks. Drop calls all the time. I had Cingular/AT&T for years but finally got tired of no signal in a lot of places & dropping calls as well. They have both said if Verizon ever gets the iphone they will be saying good bye to Ma bell. I am waiting to see if Verizon gets the Iphone before I change anything. Good luck on your decision:whistling:

My wife and I both have Iphones, I have a 4 and she has a 3G. Both have been great. The ATT service has been fine for me. I've used them for 10 years or more with no problems. I have a couple of friends that have the Sprint EVO phone which is Android based. I've played with it a bit and I find the Iphone user interface easier to navigate. The EVO is probably a good phone and you could get used to the interface but for me Sprint lacks the coverage area. The EVO is a huge phone. Much bigger than the Iphone. I'm not an Apple fan but I do like their phone.

Dennis

Guest tx2sturgis

The iphone is a great tool for anyone driving for a living, because it can do email, weather radar, news feeds, sports scores, music, video, social networking, cargo tracking, games, etc etc...

But its not a very good 'phone'. If you use that part of the iphone alot, and travel out in the intermountain west, and use secondary roads much, then your ATT service will be spotty, unless you are willing to buy an iphone booster. Just go to the ATT wiress website and click on the coverage map. If its not covering the areas where you travel, you will be disapointed with ATT.

Edited by tx2sturgis

i have a 3g, and love it.

in some instances,when there isn't any signal, i just go to phone settings and reset the tower search function. i can't remember the actual "name" of the reset, but it usually finds a tower that is close enough to allow me to use my phone.

just jt:backinmyday:

My daughter and son/n law both have iphones. They love the phone features but hate the carrier- AT&T sucks. Drop calls all the time. I had Cingular/AT&T for years but finally got tired of no signal in a lot of places & dropping calls as well. They have both said if Verizon ever gets the iphone they will be saying good bye to Ma bell. I am waiting to see if Verizon gets the Iphone before I change anything. Good luck on your decision:whistling:

I travel coast to coast and have never had an issue with Verizon's service... I was gonna wait for the Iphone to come to Verizon, but had been keeping an eye on the Galaxy S by Samsung. I feel it has advantages over the Iphone because it is not as proprietary as the iphone. If I need a battery... I can replace it (or have a spare). If I want or need more memory, I can buy a Micro SD memory card and upgrade it (it comes with a 16 gig card and can be upgraded to a 32 gig card). I also can choose from a slew of different apps for it (more apps now for Android than for Iphones) and if I don't like i-tunes (which I don't) I can select some other player. It has a Kindle App if I want to use it as a e-reader and the picture (for videos) is the best I have seen on anything. and I looked at alot of them before I pulled the trigger.

just my :2cents: worth

I have an iPhone. In my opinion the iPhone is much better hardware and software then the Android. However, AT&T can be less than desirable depending on where you are located. Rural coverage just plain sucks, unless you are tethered to your job by the darn thing then taking a rural vacation lets you enjoy it without being disturbed by work :cool10:.

However, AT&T is busy upgrading their network and will be rolling out 4G service soon according to a recent press release. Cross our fingers and hope they don't f this up also.

So, if you need coverage all the time every place no matter how rural then anything but AT&T. If you don not leave the main interstates much then AT&T should have you covered.

My Droid X has been great with Verizon. This phone can do everything its a phone a gps, mp3, email, weather, traffic, a small computer. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Garmin 550 on the bike and just using the phone since it can do everything in one package. ATT service aint the greatest unless you live in a city and dont leave it.

Edited by CrazyHorse

When I went to work for my current company about 7 years ago, they asked me to change from Verizon to AT&T. I did so, for about 3 days. I couldn't even get a signal at my house with the AT&T phone and had never had a problem with Verizon. I tried a couple different phones but it was a no go. I talked them into letting me stay with Verizon. I may be the only employee in the company with a Verizon phone. I've discussed this with some of my co-workers and they all complain about the AT&T service. Those that travel a lot as I do are always having problems with no signals.

About 2 years ago, the company sent me another AT&T phone and said that since there had been a lot of improvements with the AT&T network over the past few years that they wanted me to try it again. Same results. Very spotty coverage in the areas that I traveled and I had to go outside to a specific area of my yard before I could get a decent signal at home. I kept it for about 2 weeks and tried it off and on in my travels but it was a no go for me. Many of my customers are in small towns and rural areas and the AT&T service just doesn't cut it for me.

I was talking about this with the President of our company at last fall's sales meeting and he admitted that since the Iphone was introduced, he was having a lot of problems now in the larger cities. He said that he often gets "all circuits busy" when he needs to make a call. He feels that due to so many Iphone users surfing the web and etc. that AT&T doesn't have enough capacity now. He said that they are looking at moving everybody to Verizon in the future.

I never wanted a Blackberry but a few weeks ago, I got one anyway. The company decided that they wanted all of us to be able to get our email during the day while on the road. I did not want it at ALL but that didn't really seem to matter. :) Anyway, I've been using it for about 3 weeks now and I actually like it pretty well. It does have weather, navigation...most of the other things that some of you have mentioned but I seldom use any of that stuff. I don't need nav and weather when I have both on my Zumo but it's there if I ever were to need it. The only thing I DON'T like about the Blackberry and the small buttons. I'm constantly pressing the wrong button even when trying to dial a number. Hopefully I will get used to it sooner or later.

i have a 3g, and love it.

in some instances,when there isn't any signal, i just go to phone settings and reset the tower search function. i can't remember the actual "name" of the reset, but it usually finds a tower that is close enough to allow me to use my phone.

just jt:backinmyday:

Can you tell me exactly how to do this. I looked in my setting ap and didn't see this command.

Can you tell me exactly how to do this. I looked in my setting ap and didn't see this command.

o.k., here goes.

got into "settings" mode.

click on "general", scroll down to "reset".

click on "reset network settings".

your phone will search for and find the closest or strongest tower signal.

hope this helps.

just jt

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Just received the new Wilson Sleek from Amazon, and it is making a HUGE improvement in cell quality here at my house. But I'm only 'testing' it here, because I will be installing it in my work truck and trying it out on the road. From all reviews I have seen so far, I expect it to work well.

The signal strength here in my house near the computer goes from zero (searching)or 1 bar to 3 bars...which is a huge difference. Using the 'field test' mode of the iphone, the signal strength is increasing from a -106 to a -95, about 11db, which is just over a ten times increase. And yes, calls now are crystal clear compared to what they were before. You do need to use some type of headset like a wireless bluetooth unit with the phone.

I'm pleased so far!

I'll update after I get a chance to install and use it in the truck.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185845/the_wilson_sleek_an_affordable_cell_phone_signal_booster.html

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-815226-Booster-Antenna/dp/B003FGWGPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286907759&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics 815226 Sleek Cell Phone Signal Cradle Booster for All Cell Phones with Mini Magnet Mount Antenna - For Single User: Cell Phones & Service@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bCGSJOshL.@@AMEPARAM@@51bCGSJOshL[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OiOK0EFLeg]YouTube - 3Gstore Demo's the Wilson Sleek Signal Booster[/ame]

Disclaimer: I do not have an Iphone or droid, just giving my experience on cellphone providers.

I had ATT years ago when hubby and I first married and in our local area it was ok but outside the local area in more rural parts of Georgia it was sketchy at best.

What made us drop them as a carrier was when ATT canceled our service after a family member who wasn't on our plan called and canceled it out of spite.

Since then I have used Virgin Mobile, Cricket, and tracfone.

Service with all 3 is good, coverage has been superior to what I had with ATT, in fact there have been times where my Cricket service worked where Verizon does not.

As others have said, always check coverage maps. And just because a company doesn't use a phone you prefer doesn't mean it can't be used on their network always. The EVO can be flashed to work on Verizon, Cricket, and other CDMA networks.

From a computer geek's point of view I wouldn't go with apple anything. It locks you into their applications and hardware. And most of the time any repairs needing to be done must be done as a shipping service, meaning your phone will be unavailable for weeks while under repair. Yes some of the droid phones can be the same way as well I'm sure. Just my 2 cents

Guest tx2sturgis

From a computer geek's point of view I wouldn't go with apple anything. It locks you into their applications and hardware. And most of the time any repairs needing to be done must be done as a shipping service, meaning your phone will be unavailable for weeks while under repair. Yes some of the droid phones can be the same way as well I'm sure. Just my 2 cents

Hey babe...long time no see!

But I have to disagree.

I've been using Mac computers for over 5 years now and I'm not 'locked' into anything. Printers, drives, cameras, scanners, USB gadgets, ALL hardware, from any vendor, works fine. Even if it says "Designed for Windows' on the box. Apples are smart that way. Thats a Microsoft marketing agreement, NOT a technical barrier.

As far as applications..Most anything you would EVER want to do, you can find really good software written for the Mac that will do it. If you can't, then all you have to do is load up some thirdparty software to make the Mac compatible with Windows programs, and presto, your in business. I run Parallels Virtual Machine and I can run ANY Windows program I wish, on my Mac. There is a lot of mis-conceptions out there. Plus, Mac OSX is not NEARLY as vulnerable to attacks from the malware world. Period. I've been running NO virus software at all on the Mac OS, for 5 YEARS...no attacks yet. I DO run Kaspersky Internet Security on the Windows side of my Mac, cuz you know...Winders is Winders. Its broke.

Now as far as apps on the iphone, well, there are over 235,000 apps for the iphone on the Apple App Store. I'm guessing that anything you want is there. I dont call that being 'locked in'. And if you live near an Apple store, most of the time a repair is quick, or the replacement is made ON THE SPOT.

Even if you have to send in something, the typical turn-around is less than a week. But I have NEVER had to send anything in...only going by what I've heard and read.

So lets recap:

Mac computers work with almost all hardware. Mac computers work with almost all software. Macs are mostly immune to common malware. iphones have a HUGE variety of apps.

Apple products DO cost a bit more, when bought new, than a typical Winders Box. Quality does cost more.

Just my THREE cents babe!

Edited by tx2sturgis

• 3 weeks later...