IGNORED

I have a wobble in the front and rear shock question

I have a 08 venture and I am starting to feel a wobble in the front and more so at lower speeds. I am going to have to replace the tire by the end of the season since it has 15000 miles on it now and starting to look like it. I'm taking it in to the dealer and have them look at it but I like to be prepared for them to look at things.

I also would like to know how you know if the rear shock is bad? The rear end is feeling funny and it feels like the rear tire slips and has a few time and it's a E3 with only 8000 miles on it. The queen says she thinks it rides different but can't put her finger on it. Thanks for any info:95:

Guest tx2sturgis

Sounds like you have it figured out. Front tire wear is one source of a wobble, and with a faulty rear shock, the rear end will feel 'unplanted' now and then on turns. It might also be noticeable when your butt is aching more than normal after an hour or so in the saddle.

Double check your tire pressures, front and rear, and also make sure the shock is aired up correctly for your weight. It COULD also be the neck bearings, they may need tightening a bit.

How many miles are on the shock? If its 15,000 or more, as on the tire, its sure possible. If you hear it squeaking when its cold, this means its on the way out, and if you see oil dripping from the bottom shock boot, its GONE.

I called my dealer and they told me that if the rear shock is losing air preasure over night than its bad and that the neck bearing is not covered under wrty as its a maintance thing. He recomends that I have the 16K service that is a 8.5hr service and thats a little salty. I do have some oil leaking but need to see if its from the over flow or the shock. Thanks guys for the info!

I called my dealer and they told me that if the rear shock is losing air preasure over night than its bad and that the neck bearing is not covered under wrty as its a maintance thing. He recomends that I have the 16K service that is a 8.5hr service and thats a little salty. I do have some oil leaking but need to see if its from the over flow or the shock. Thanks guys for the info!

If you purchsed the 26,000 miles service contract with them, then they have to service the bearings, at 12 & 26 thousand miles.

I had the service, but they never inspected mine, now at 45,000 miles, they reviewed the services done. and found they never adjusted the bearing/greased/repacked.

I just had mine done last week. it takes 2.5 hours to complete. and no:mo money:out of your pocket

How did they repack the bearings without taking them out? 2.5 hours isn't enough time to dismantle the front end to pull the bearings for a proper repacking is it?

This fall, I'm dropping my bike off at an independent shop (local yammy dealership doesn't know anything about RSV) and having my front end re-done.. New neck bearings, service the front forks, installing Progressive springs and later installing a new Works rear shock..

Mine is a used bike that never got the proper treatment it required before I bought it and though I managed to get tons of new parts under warranty when it broke down in the USA last summer, I now have to get this done out of warranty time. Luckily, a lot of the new parts were acquired at half the cost so the whole job won't cost an arm and a leg.. (an ankle maybe.. if I'm lucky)

End result, tighter front end, stiffer and steadier ride. For the amount of riding I do each year, it will be well worth the expense.

Cheers

I never was offerd a service contract to start with and even so most if not all of my work I do myself or have some friends that can help me if I dont know. The hardest part I was told about tighing the neck bolt was taking the fairing off, been there done that its not hard just takes alittle time. I think there is a guy on here that sells a wrench to do this with. If I can find a stratoliners front tire before I have to buy a front I want to switch them out and go with it. Thanks

Another thing to check is the rear shock air pressure. If it is too high for the weight then it will wander in the corners, more so if you take the corner a little on the quicker side.

I believe it was Dingy who had the wrenches made for the steering head brgs

Brad