IGNORED

dunlop tires E2 / E3

I recently replace my old Dunlop E2 tires with 404's. I'm not unhappy with the 404's but I can tell they are less tire than the E2's were and I'll probably look for some more robust tires when these wear out. Can you get anywhere the same miles out of E3's that you could the E2's ? I could run the E2's forever. I know Metzler and Michelin, Avon etc... make some great tires too but I had such good luck with the E2's I'll probably stick with Dunlop since most of my riding these days is old-geezer style anyway. The E2's are hard to find now and are too pricey so I'm wondering how people who have had them like the E3's and if people that have previously ran E2's also like the E3's ?

:superman:

Hi I'm news to venture riders, I ride a 2006 venture, I had 404 on my ride when I got the bike. I got 13000 on the front and 7000 on the back. I had 2 404 on the back and 7000 on each. So I went with the dunlop E3 and got 25000 on the front and 21000 on the back.

I have E-3's on my 1st gen and I am very pleased with them. They are not as nimble as the Avons, but seem much more stable from 70mph on.

RandyA

Hey Randy,

Ive been looking on the dulop site for the rear tire for my 91. What is the crossover size as it looks like Greek to me now? Unless I looked at it wrong.

David

--- I had 404 on my ride when I got the bike. I got 13000 on the front and 7000 on the back. I had 2 404 on the back and 7000 on each. So I went with the dunlop E3 and got 25000 on the front and 21000 on the back.

I went from E2's to E3's on my 88VR and so far, I am glad that I did based on performance. Geting this type of mileage will be a bonus!

The Dunlop E2 is not in production any more and has not been in production for over a year. If you happen to come across a "new" E2 check the date code. I have received these tires here at my shop and a few were over 4 years old.(and returned) I have seen a few on Ebay and when I asked the seller for the date code I either got "No Answer" or was told that they were 5 or more years old. So be very careful when buying those old, new E2's. I have an E3 on the front of my 87'VR with 4 miles on it, (because of my back surgery) but the E3 I had on the 87 before, got 17,500 miles on it and still had good tread on it but had gotten a bit noisy.

I have run the Avon's both front and rear and the handling and noise were much better than the Dunlops but above 100MPH the bike was nearly uncontrollable. The mileage was not as good on the Avon's as well. Both tire brands work very well in wet weather with the Avon being ever so slightly better. For the money, the Dunlop E3's are hard to beat.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that if you have mechanical issues, (worn out fork springs, loose or damaged steering head bearings, worn out swing arm bushings, etc.) then the newer tread style of the Dunlop E3 and the Avon Venom don't last as long as the old Dunlop E2. Those old E2's would rot off of a rim before they would wear out. Just some observations of tires that have come into the shop.:detective:

Earl

I switched from Avon Venoms to E3s this summer. The Venom front tire was cupping after 4-5K miles causing the bike to wobble. Also at higher speed they were unstable. I like the E3s very much so far. My mechanic runs them on his 87 VR and gets great mileage.

Iowa Guy

I know there are a lot of pro's and con's about the longivity of the Avon's, but they will not cup when run at max cold pressure. Cupping is caused by runing the twisties with soft tires, and has nothing to do with suspension problems. Avon sidewall checking is another issue, but unless the tire is run soft cupping will not occur. I ran 50psi in the front tire of the '83 and when I sold it with 8000 miles on it, it looked like new, and I put some major twists on it. 2ndGens require less pressure at 40psi. Run them at any less and you'll eat them up. Cupping will happen with any tire that's run under inflated. Even an EII or E3. So if you're playing with pressures to get a better ride, don't. Keep 'm at max.

thanks for all the comments everybody. I'll probably give the E3's a try when the time comes, kind of wish I had done it this time. One thing about my new 404's too is that it took quite a bit of weight to balance them, especially the rear, something I never had to do with the E2's. It makes me kind of wonder too if the 404's are really enough tire for these big bikes ? But since they're not too bad a tire, and I've already spent the money on them, I'll go ahead and run them out and know better next time.

:mo money:

Just went to the Dunlop E'3 (MU90B16) for the rear of my 1990 and so far very happy with performance. Went thru several sets of the 404's and still have a 404 on the front but will probably change that to an E3 also when worn out altho I haven't researched sizes for the front yet. The rear 404's got 7k miles if I was lucky so hoping for many more miles on the E3. I also have a 2001 Kawasaki Concours and just switched from Dunlops to Avons on that bike and the difference is extreme in a very good way. But then again that bike takes radials and I may not get the miles on the avons but handling is totally different. Not to mention that the Connie is 200-250 lbs lighter than the Venture and I always felt the 404's were just not a heavy enough tire for the Venture.:farmer: