IGNORED

New headlamp bulb causing issues

I just installed my headlamp bulb with a Silver Star Ultra. After install, low beam was dim but high beam was super bright. Now I get the headlamp message on display. After having it in for a week the low beam is not on at all but works on high beam. This morning low beam was on and very bright for a few minutes then went off. High beam still works fine.

Did not have any issues with the other unknown bulb that was installed from PO I was surprised to see the wattage to be 55/100 with no name or numbers on bulb just the words not for use in Germany. This is the old bulb.

Do you think the Silve Star is defective or my scooter just didnt like me changing out a perfectly good headlamp?

I would really like to run with the Silver Star as it is much brighter looking. Maybe with some of your suggestions I can get it to work.

Thank you for all of the support this site provides!

Bob

I had a Silverstar in mine for a couple of years until I changed over to the Hella H9 dual setup this year. Had no problems at all with it.

Not that I think it would affect the Hi/Low of the Silverstar but did you touch it with your bare fingers? They do not like the oils off the skin. They will fail quickly if handled without clean gloves or being cleaned with alcohol after touching.

I'd go with a bad bulb or poor conncetion myself.

got the same type silverstar ultra in my bike and my wifes shadow. In my 91 its no problems. In the wifes shadow I was having the same problem. I took it back out to see what was going on and sure enough, bad connection. With the bad connection it was arching and causing the low beam to be bright some times, low sometimes and not at all some times. Because of the arching I had to clean the termnals on the bulb and replace the plastic h-4 conector on the wiring harness. it melted the harness from the arching and made it worse.

Hope this helps as it so far has worked for the wifes bike.

david