IGNORED

Any Auto Machanics ? -- GMC Trouble

dave_wells

Every thing has been in the shop this week

New shock and rear tire on the bike

Thank You Warranty !!!!!!

Any help with the following would be GREAT....

My 96 GMC Jimmy

The dome light will not turn off - Usually there is a delay maybe a minute till it shuts off

after closing the door,also the same if you lift on the handle

I had notice on a few occasions I look up the dome light is on

been driving 10 min or so

Open an close the door it goes out ..

The first thing I did was remove the switch still stays on

No dome over ride as in some later models

I came out to a dead Battery twice ,second time I noticed the dome light was on

It does not shut off ( pulled the 3 bulbs )

The truck was in the shop They ordered the part ( delay Sensor)

We were sent a diagram of were the sensor is located.

We had almost all of the dash apart we never did find the delay sensor to replace it

Any Ideas .....

Thanks in advance...

:confused07: :confused07: :confused07: :confused24:

The door switchs work by making contact with the body (negitive battery). It's possible that the wire for the switch is chaffed and is shorting to the body. Pull the switch out and hook the clamp from a test light to the wire and the probe side of the tester to a fuse that you know is live at all times. If the light comes on, you have a short to the body. (make sure all other doors are closed while doing this test).

(quote) Usually there is a delay maybe a minute till it shuts off...............

Your light delay relay is going bad...auto parts stores carry the relays and many auto parts stores will also show you where the relay is and help you remove and replace it for no charge..should be more then $30 bucks to replace it..or you can by-pass it..

I did a seach and found this for you.. Hope it helps..

http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/delay.htm

The door switchs work by making contact with the body (negitive battery). It's possible that the wire for the switch is chaffed and is shorting to the body. Pull the switch out and hook the clamp from a test light to the wire and the probe side of the tester to a fuse that you know is live at all times. If the light comes on, you have a short to the body. (make sure all other doors are closed while doing this test).

Actually most vehicles now use a NC switch like on the Jimmy. The power is fed from the fuse and the relay as mentioned above. After switch power is broken, then the relay keeps the light on through the delay timer.