IGNORED

Carb Sync

72ranger

• 2 weeks later...

How often does this need done? I had my carbs. syncd. about a month ago and really made a difference, but after putting over 800 miles on it in the last week on a trip, I noticed on the way home that the power has diminished and the idle is not as smooth, and it doesn't accelerate as before. I find it hard to believe I need this done again so soon. Does vibration while riding cause the carbs. to go out of sync? I do know that as time and usage over the years will cause some wear would cause the loss of sync. It's back running the same as before the sync. that's why I had it syncd. by another member here localy. I guess I'm going to have to purchase a sync. tool to do this myself it it has to be done so often, what do you guys/gals think?

How often does this need done? I had my carbs. syncd. about a month ago and really made a difference, but after putting over 800 miles on it in the last week on a trip, I noticed on the way home that the power has diminished and the idle is not as smooth, and it doesn't accelerate as before. I find it hard to believe I need this done again so soon. Does vibration while riding cause the carbs. to go out of sync? I do know that as time and usage over the years will cause some wear would cause the loss of sync. It's back running the same as before the sync. that's why I had it syncd. by another member here localy. I guess I'm going to have to purchase a sync. tool to do this myself it it has to be done so often, what do you guys/gals think?

I've only put about 10,000 miles on my 2008 RSV, but I had a carb sync staying synced issue also. I believe part of it was my carbs slowly cleaning out the gunk from the previous owner. The other part & probably the main culprit was that one of my spark plugs was not tight. I could turn it with my fingers when I changed the plugs to Iridiums.

Just check for loose things, cracks in intake tubes, etc. You must have something causing you to loose sync. For me, my plan is to resync when ever my tach pulses a great deal at idle or every 5000 miles.

JohnB

I have one and haven't taken the wrap off yet :o I am still trying to get the feel of the engine :confused24: well it is the only excuse I have :) We have a good long ride coming up in a week, and going to put in a good hot dose of sea foam (second dose) and go from there. I really don't have a clue when it was done last...... after this cleaning out I will give it a try. How important is the 900/1000 RPM while doing this. I may be able to get it close by ear, but haven't ever heard an RSV set at 1000....... Also will have to find the instructions mentioned above...

Just tried to oder one and I keep getting a box that says it timed out and I can't get the order to go through. Were you guys able to order online?

The only time I get hit with the timed out is when I take too long entering the neccessary info. It's been a long time since I picked up mine so the memory fades as to what's needed.

I have one and haven't taken the wrap off yet :o I am still trying to get the feel of the engine :confused24: well it is the only excuse I have :) We have a good long ride coming up in a week, and going to put in a good hot dose of sea foam (second dose) and go from there. I really don't have a clue when it was done last...... after this cleaning out I will give it a try. How important is the 900/1000 RPM while doing this. I may be able to get it close by ear, but haven't ever heard an RSV set at 1000....... Also will have to find the instructions mentioned above...

The idle speed isn't all that important, just as long as it's not set way low. Idle within reason and sounding good is OK. It's not really a problem with the 2ndGens as much as it is with the 1stGens that have been bought used, since the idle adjustment screw is right out there in front of God and everybody, but if the idle screw doesn't effect rpm let me know and I'll send you a longer instruction write up on how to deal with it. With 1stGens previous owners who don't have a clue on where to adjust the idle start turning all the sync screws and can really mess things up... Don has a nice write up on syncing the 2ndGens in the tech section.

The only time I get hit with the timed out is when I take too long entering the neccessary info. It's been a long time since I picked up mine so the memory fades as to what's needed.

The idle speed isn't all that important, just as long as it's not set way low. Idle within reason and sounding good is OK. It's not really a problem with the 2ndGens as much as it is with the 1stGens that have been bought used, since the idle adjustment screw is right out there in front of God and everybody, but if the idle screw doesn't effect rpm let me know and I'll send you a longer instruction write up on how to deal with it. With 1stGens previous owners who don't have a clue on where to adjust the idle start turning all the sync screws and can really mess things up... Don has a nice write up on syncing the 2ndGens in the tech section.

Thanks I emailed them and used the link and this time it worked. Go figure. :confused07: