IGNORED

Intermittent No Start Issue

Ok gurus of the 1st Gen VR I need some advice. Recently I am having issues getting the bike to start when the clutch is engaged. Engine does not turn over. Acts like I am trying to start in gear w/o the kick stand or center stand up. If I put it in Neutral it will start sometimes. If the bike is on the center stand in Neutral it starts almost all the time.

I am assuming there is a safety interlock somewhere that is out of adjustment but not sure where to start on this one.

Check the clutch switch first, couple of things happen at times with it. One is bushing gets worn and allows to much play. Second is switch can pop out of retainer and move back.

Next culprit may be side stand switch, two ways to check this. First is to find connector for side stand switch behind left side cover near air ride damper. Split at connector and jumper all three wires together on bike cable side, this will by pass side stand switch. If this is the problem fix the switch, don't leave it jumpered. It's a safety thing.

Attached is a PDF file showing the starting circuits for the MKII's

Gary

Edited by dingy
removed reference to front and rear brake switch, brain fart

seems to me that at least on some bikes when idling in neutral on the center stand that the rear wheel turns. could it be a REALLY tied starter motor and when the bike is on the center stand the rear wheel is off the ground and makes it easier to start? ...maybe im smokin my breakfast, just a thought

Awesome; thanks for the quick response. I will dig into this when I get back from vacation. I am thinking it is in the clutch switch somewhere as all the other items function as intended just doesn't want to start in gear with the clutch engaged.

Probably better to start it on the center stand in Neutral anyway.

Awesome; thanks for the quick response. I will dig into this when I get back from vacation. I am thinking it is in the clutch switch somewhere as all the other items function as intended just doesn't want to start in gear with the clutch engaged.

Probably better to start it on the center stand in Neutral anyway.

Is the starter engaging, trying to start ?

If not, putting on center stand should makee no difference, unless you are leaving on side stand to warm up.

Does bike shut off in nuetral when side stand is put down?

Gary

Everything works as it should with the stands, ie... runs and cranks in Neutral on side and center stand, but somethimes will not turn over when I have it in gear with the clutch engaged and both stands up. If I put the side stand down while in gear then it shuts off.

Liike I said above I suspect it is in the clutch switch as all the other switches are operating fine.

:bang head::mo money::bawling::bawling:My poor bike won't start 1983:smash2:. and it going to stay that way, as I'm looking for a 1300 for it. to many little things. So it will come apart when I find that engine, sorry to hear your bike is sick.

So hay does any of the inmates here have a 1300 for sale ??? if so please give a call.

We now return you to this post Thanks..Michael..:smile5:

Actually my bike has the sniffles but runs like scalded cat; almost scary how fast I can gain on people. It really feels like I am in my 550 HP Vette acceleration wise maybe faster.

Now according to my short math calculation the bike is pushing about 9.5 lbs per HP, whereas the Vette is pushing 7.3 lbs per HP. :Bunny2:

:bang head::mo money::bawling::bawling:My poor bike won't start 1983:smash2:. and it going to stay that way, as I'm looking for a 1300 for it. to many little things. So it will come apart when I find that engine, sorry to hear your bike is sick.

So hay does any of the inmates here have a 1300 for sale ??? if so please give a call.

We now return you to this post Thanks..Michael..:smile5:

What are the Symptoms ??

Give us the rundown, might be some good ideas here

Actually my bike has the sniffles but runs like scalded cat; almost scary how fast I can gain on people. It really feels like I am in my 550 HP Vette acceleration wise maybe faster.

Now according to my short math calculation the bike is pushing about 9.5 lbs per HP, whereas the Vette is pushing 7.3 lbs per HP. :Bunny2:

What are you using for a HP factor for the bike?

Are you using brake HP for both or rear wheel HP?

Gary

• 2 weeks later...