IGNORED

Clutch Problem - Need Some Help in S. FLA!

Bobby G

Made it 700 miles from Marietta GA to Ft. Lauderdale no problem. But when I pulled off the exit yesterday after the last 120 miles, my clutch was about gone. Very loose play in the clutch, and obviously very difficult to shift. Had to limp it in the last 8 miles in 2nd gear. I let it cool down and checked the reservoir and it was full, and checked it again this morning, and it seems to be back up to the normal pressure on the clutch handle. But still seems more difficult to shift. Any ideas as to what might be causing this to happen? We leave on a cruise today and return Saturday, and then leave for the 700 mile return trip to GA.

I'm hoping someone may have some experience with this particular situation and can recommend a quick fix for me to get it home (other than the obvious rental car and trailer route!)

Thanks.

In addition to tying the clutch lever in overnight, you may want to try bleeding the clutch. Have somebody pump the clutch lever a couple of times and then hold it in. Then open the bleeder (under the rubber plug on the left side on a 1st Gen, not exactly sure how they hide it on a 2nd gen). Keep the clutch lever in, then close the bleeder. THen you can release the clutch lever. Be careful not to have the bleeder valve open when you release the clutch lever or you will draw air into you slave cylinder (BTW, if memory is correct it takes a 5/16" or 8mm wrench--both will work). If you do this a couple of times, you'll at least get the air out. This sympton means that you have moisture in your clutch fluid and want to change it at the first opportunity you have.

Frank

Whoever you are in Jacksonville, thanks for the call! (I didn't catch your name - sorry!) I think I will try to have the line bled on Saturday before I head home. It's pretty dark in color and it probably boiled up pretty good. Anybody in the area want to have a whack at it while we're gone, you're more than welcome! Leaving the keys with Tom. His number is 201-927-1155. The bike is at his house about 10 minutes from downtown Ft. Lauderdale. (How's that for trusting your fellow Venture Riders!) Full reimbursement for time and materials will be made, of course.

Gotta go catch a ship......

You guys rock!

This may be to late as it might be fixed. But here goe's..

What bike is it first or second gen?

the clutch should not cause shifting problems it is only a means of lifting the clutch plates from the driven. the trans should be able to go through the selectors with a blip of throttle.

The brake fluid should not have boiled

Check the clutch lever fulcrum that is the Wear point for older Ventures mine did the same thing. Replaced the handle and all was OK.

We need more Info!!:mugshot:

I had an issue shifting and thought it was the clutch going because it was getting harder and harder to shift. I pulling in for gas and the shifter wouldn't move. I looked down to see that the shifter bolt was almost out. Tightened the bolt and all was well again. Just a thought. Good luck

Back home in GA after a glorious vacation. This is my first opportunity to get back on a PC, and I wanted to thank everyone who jumped in to assist with my little clutch problem last Monday when I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale. I did find a mechanic that was open on Labor day (The Bike Doctor - - his name is Bob), and he was able to take care of the problem, which apparently was old fluid that needed to be changed out. He bled the line, filled it with DOT 5.1, and that fixed it. Total cost: $20! (But I tipped him pretty well for the quick service.) No issues at all getting back home. Did almost 1,600 miles on the trip (not including the cruise to Grand Caymen and Cozumel!).

Again, thanks for everyone's concern, advice and suggestions.

(Here's a few pics from the trip.)

just because....

what ship were you on?

We were on a Royal Caribbean ship called Grandeur of the Seas. Smaller ship than their other ones, and a little older, but we had a great time. The service, food and amenities were all in the "good to excellent" range, and this was my 8th cruise with RCCL. And the price for a 5 day cruise was unbelievable - $279 each. You can't stay in a Motel 6 for that price for 5 nights! :mo money: