Had my 8000 mile service done by a yamaha shop today and they used synthetic blend 20w50 for the oil change. Is this a good weight oil for my 2009 RSV. live and ride in Richmond VA mostly. Thanks for any advice. Have enjoyed venturing through this site over the past few months.

hi there;

I live & ride to work almost every non-rain day for a 44 mile round-trip.

I use Rotella T6 5W-40 and have had no problems with our multi 100+ degree days.

To me, 15W-40 is better suited for an air-cooled bike, but it should work OK for you. However, if you get to changing your own I any many others here recommend the Rotella T6 & the WalMart SuperTech ST7317. Infact the Rotella seems just as good as Amsoil to me.

John Bauer

Look me up in a week when I get back from a trip.

Thanks for the info. We live in the Chesterfield area and the wife and I ride as often as we can. Be glad to get togather for a ride sometime.

Steve Conner

That's cool! I live near Rt10 & 150...

I will contact you when I get back. There are lots of rides this weekend around Richmond & a meet&Great for ventureriders today.

To find local rides google The Richmond Riders Meetup.

TTFN;

JohnB

Had my 8000 mile service done by a yamaha shop today and they used synthetic blend 20w50 for the oil change. Is this a good weight oil for my 2009 RSV. live and ride in Richmond VA mostly. Thanks for any advice. Have enjoyed venturing through this site over the past few months.

20w-50 is generally for air cooled bikes as they run hotter, water cooled bikes usually run 10W-40.

The Royal Star manual actually calls for 20W-40 in hot weather and 10w-30 in cold weather.

I run 10w-40

Yamaha has an oil brochure available (bottom of the page).

They've changed their oil lineup and some of the old oils are no longer available. The brochure states that if the owner's manual specifies 20W-40, 20W-50 should be used. Interestingly, they do not offer a 20W-50 full synthetic, but rather a 15W-50. That is what they appear to be recommending for all non-racing sport bikes and cruisers.

When I asked, 15W-50 is what my local Yamaha dealer suggested I use.

I've been running Mobil 1 15w-50 Fully Synthetic for nearly 30,000 miles in my '09 and won't run anything else!! However Wally World seems to be phasing this oil out of their inventory. May have to go with another brand if I can't find it in another store. Just my :2cents: worth. BTW, my owners manual recommends the following oil: Yamalube 4 10w-40 or 20w-50, SAE 10w-40 or SAE 20w-50. Recommended engine oil grade: API service SG type or higher, JASO standard MA. It also states: In order to prevent clutch slippage (since the engine oil also lubricates the clutch), do not mix any chemical additives. Do not use oils with a diesel specification of "CD" or oils of a higher quality than specified. In addition, do not use oils labeled "ENERGY CONSERVING II" or higher. The last sentence is probably the most important!!!!

Thanks to all for the replys. Sounds like i'm ok with what is in it but should probably go with 10w40 next time or one of the other recomended oils. I have a 3 year service agrement with the local dealer so i'll stick with yamalube for now probably.

Thanks again, Steve

Thanks to all for the replys. Sounds like i'm ok with what is in it but should probably go with 10w40 next time or one of the other recomended oils. I have a 3 year service agrement with the local dealer so i'll stick with yamalube for now probably.

Thanks again, Steve

I like yamalube. It was one of the best for smoothing out the shifting on my bike. The next best oil that I've used (and use now) is Mobile One 4T 10W-40.