IGNORED

not getting fuel

I have a first gen 83xvz1200 if I pull off the fuel line at the carbs I can see fuel pumping out but thats it just by turning the key it happens. If I put a little gas in the carbs then start it it runs till the fuel i poured in burns off.

If I pour gas in carbs and leave the fuel line off while the engine burns off the fuel I poured I don't see any fuel coming out the fuel line from the fuel pump.

Have no idea what to do. Seems it's not getting fuel somehow!!

Thanks,

Chop

Does fuel pump 'click' when key is on and fuel hose disconnected from carbs. It should pump (click) continously until it fills (primes) the carbs, then shut off. If no clicking, likely electrical problem such as blown fuse, or safety systems cutting off fuel pump relay, or defective fuel pump. Check for 12v and ground at 2 wire fuel pump connector low left side of frame. If it is clicking, but not pumping fuel, likely fuel petcock is closed/clogged, fuel filter is clogged, or pump is defective. If not familar with location, petcock can be hard to find. Right side low near rear handgrip, under bottom edge of side panel. Plastic square with flat slot(very fragil-make sure to turn only in direction of little cam slot with wrench, dont use screwdriver in slot or you will most likely break the plastic valve).

Hey Bkuhr, I got to ask......can you post a pic of you sitting on your bike? I'm sorry man but it sounds like it would be rather uncomfortable from your post. :crackup:

Just funnin' ya buddy but if you don't have some really low clip-ons.........:stickpoke:

Mike

Mike, this is for you :stickpoke:

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:PVvwFJPnj0LQ6M::rachelheldevans.com/assets/images/monkey_on_bicycle_vintage(1).jpg&h=86&w=134&usg=___CBKSI1VqnLLcxvHN7jLKlEhRWY=

Actually, I don't get it??? :icon_smile_question"Just funnin' ya buddy but if you don't have some really low clip-ons.........:stickpoke:" Try to get some real pic this afternoon.

Ok Mike, ya got me. I was sitting in the house on the puter and thought rear handgrip bar was continous all the way down, guess I could have said rear crash bar. More descriptive would have been rear foot pegs.

Whats so bad is even after you slammed me, I still did not get it. So guess it didn't count:thumbsup2: :stickpoke:

Now here are pics of the bar in question, as well as petcock location under side cover, some covers do not have cutout area, and view of petcock in ON position, and operating range painted in blue. I painted mine in blue, because I broke mine trying to turn it wrong, and wanted to remind myself to how it worked. Just pointing it out to CHOP, to try to help him avoid causing more problems than he has...

Now you going to give me a break? :stickpoke::stirthepot:

Brian

PS, Not sure where Monkey from, first thing poppped up on Google, or is it

goggle :stickpoke:

Well....maybe this time. Only because I used to drink a bit and I remember hanging onto that "hand grip" a few times myself. Now if I could just remember if the bike was moving or not.

Ok...as you were helping Chop........10 Points.

As you made me crack up...............25 Points.

Now if Chop is still looking under his handlebars he may want to deduct a few points. :crackup:

Mike

Hi Chop....

Lets try this. Ok. you have an '83. I think you may have found the petcock by now. On your bike it will be UNDER the right sidecover, right by the rear foot peg. Make sure that is turned to "ON".

Ok. with all the fuel lines in place, does the fuel pump click for 3 or 4 seconds after you turn the key on AND set the kill switch to the run position?

These pumps are "demand only". They pump only when fuel is needed. Once the carb fuel bowl is filled....it stops and won't click again until the bowls requires more fuel. That said.....it does not click all the time.

If it clicks, disconnect the fuel line from the rear side of the fuel pump. If the petcock is clear and filter is not clogged you will get a good flow from the line. Be prepared for it.

If not....the follow the line up the bike and the fuel filter is right behind the fuel pump. If it looks like it might be dirty.....change it. HEck change it anyway. Not real easy to do but it can be done.

If it looks good...which I doubt....pull the filter off the line and see if fuel flows from that line.

Try that and let us know what you find.

Mike