I just managed to get my forks apart and have some questions. I was under the impression that progressive springs were different from OEM because they had tighter winds on one end. All parts seemed OEM and there was no PVC spacer or whatever. The ones I took out also had tighter winds on one end. So now I'm confused. I measured the springs and they were both @ 18" long. Manual says they should be 23.6"! If these are OEM, can this compression be for real? Had some minor pits but smoothed them out with #400 then #2000 watersand and polished them with Flitz. They look like new.

Tried to send photo but I guess I don't know how to do that. I inserted attachment but it apparently went to never, never land.

These are the stock springs and spacers. The Progressives are much heavier and tighter coils and the Progressives are as long as the stock spring and spacer combined.

Yep. You got the stock springs. Do you have the long steel spacers shown? If not, you got a problem to deal with.

Mike

I do have the steel spacers but if I switch to progressives it looks like I won't need them anyway. So since the springs are so badly compressed I may as well bite the bullet and get progressives. One more question; how important is it to change the dust seals. Mine both look pretty good.

Thanks for all your help.

Frank

In my eyes......replace the dust seals. When ever I rebuild a set of forks for the first time I always replace them. If I go into them again later, I can reuse them if they are undamaged. You said you had to dress out the tubes a bit so the dust seals / wipers may have been chewed on a bit. They do play a big part in the life of the oil seals.

Mike