IGNORED

Rear shock leaking

i have taken three of these shocks apart to see "what fails"

if you cut the big rubber boot off of the bottom of the shock, you will find the main center shaft of the shock and this shaft is chrome plated.... yes chrome plated, and the shaft runs into the main body of the shock, and through a oil seal

what happens is the shaft will get dirt and road debris stuck to it, because it will have a fine film of oil from within the shock...... thus making this dirt/sand debris-stick to the exterior of the oil seal, creating a sandpaper type finish upon the seal itself.

why is this different than any other shock?? you ask?? it's not any different, however the chrome plate on the main shaft is VERY THIN and poor quality, and when the chrome wears through, the steel shaft inside will take out the seal, and the oil runs into the bottom of the boot untill it leaks onto the floor under your scooter and leaves you with only the air chamber and then you have a large pogo stick.

sure, you can pump enough air into the top of the shock and make it a hard tail to get you home........not cool.

i have replaced mine 5 times over the years, i've never seen an air leak, just the oil.

the dealer that tells you "if it holds air.. it's fine" ask him to put that on paper, so that your family can take it to a lawer after your funeral. that always gets another shock of one kind or another..

mike

Last I looked, partshark had the shock for ~450 or so.

The Works performance shock goes for ~700 shipped.

The work - if you have a jack and the adapter or an overhead winch (some way to lift the rear of the bike) doing the shock is frighteningly easy. When I did mine, I had the old shock off in something like 20 or maybe 30 minutes (including getting out tools, jacking bike up, etc). If mine had fit right the first time I would have had it done, start to my test ride within 45 mintues to 1 hour.

Looks like the price has gone up a bit! (High demand, no doubt!!)

1 SHOCK ABSORBER ASSEM

99999-03500-00 (replaces 4XY-22210-00-00) 1 $719.40 $508.53

They show 719 as `retail`.......508 as òur price`.

Looks like the price has gone up a bit! (High demand, no doubt!!)

1 SHOCK ABSORBER ASSEM

99999-03500-00 (replaces 4XY-22210-00-00) 1 $719.40 $508.53

They show 719 as `retail`.......508 as òur price`.

1 SHOCK ABSORBER ASSY, 4XY-22210-10-00 Retail: $609.52 'Our price' $430.85

From: http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1345192&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2010&fveh=37804 [Part shark as of 23:28 27/Sept/10 Central Time]

Granted this is in USD, but at the CURRENT exchange rate that puts end price at ~441 + S/H

Remember that ANY year rear shock 99-2010 will work. The pre 04 style IS significantly more expensive. :happy34:

1 SHOCK ABSORBER ASSY, 4XY-22210-10-00 Retail: $609.52 'Our price' $430.85

From: http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1345192&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2010&fveh=37804 [Part shark as of 23:28 27/Sept/10 Central Time]

Granted this is in USD, but at the CURRENT exchange rate that puts end price at ~441 + S/H

Remember that ANY year rear shock 99-2010 will work. The pre 04 style IS significantly more expensive. :happy34:

I SEE that now, Lilbeaver: `03 version over 500 bucks..........`10 version 430!!

Why is that?

Is there NO difference between the two?

If they're identical.....or at least so close as to not have ANY installation or function issues, I wonder why PartShark wouldn't bring this to light and rationalize their inventory. (Or, at least add a note somewhere like "They're close enough to use either one: pay us MORE for the old one.....or LESS for the new one......YOUR CHOICE!"

I don't get it.

Has anyone else installed the newer, cheaper shock on an older model bike?

(Sorry to sound like an 'untrusting, skeptical, cheap-ass, sum*****......I just REALLY can't afford to make mistakes that cost money these days!! :fingers-crossed-emo)

I SEE that now, Lilbeaver: `03 version over 500 bucks..........`10 version 430!!

Why is that?

Is there NO difference between the two?

If they're identical.....or at least so close as to not have ANY installation or function issues, I wonder why PartShark wouldn't bring this to light and rationalize their inventory. (Or, at least add a note somewhere like "They're close enough to use either one: pay us MORE for the old one.....or LESS for the new one......YOUR CHOICE!"

I don't get it.

Has anyone else installed the newer, cheaper shock on an older model bike?

(Sorry to sound like an 'untrusting, skeptical, cheap-ass, sum*****......I just REALLY can't afford to make mistakes that cost money these days!! :fingers-crossed-emo)

The fit and function is identical. In 2005 they made one minor engineering change in a very weak attempt to stem the high failure rate: the new design includes a vent hose routed up next to the battery on the right side. Supposedly this hose was to keep the road grime out of the boot.

In my experience it made no difference - my first shock failed around 17,000 miles. The good news is that the replacement has made it about 80,000 miles so far. Seems like the average life of even the new design is nothing more than a crap shoot.

Goose

The fit and function is identical. In 2005 they made one minor engineering change in a very weak attempt to stem the high failure rate: the new design includes a vent hose routed up next to the battery on the right side. Supposedly this hose was to keep the road grime out of the boot.

In my experience it made no difference - my first shock failed around 17,000 miles. The good news is that the replacement has made it about 80,000 miles so far. Seems like the average life of even the new design is nothing more than a crap shoot.

Goose

Thanks, Kent.

Looks like it's "NEW" we go!

Guess I should order it now, (even though the bike isn't draggin its butt on the ground yet) just in case all the parts guys plan a big "year-end" price increase!! LOL

Thanks again, everybody, for all your input.

Mike

Edited by Semi-retired

• 3 years later...

My 2006 Venture back shock just started leaking this week and needs to be replaced. Where do you get the "work shock" and or best place/price in Canada to order one?. Is getting an aftermarket shock better or should I order one from Yamaha? Thanks Dave

Edited by derauw

My 2006 Venture back shock just started leaking this week and needs to be replaced. Where do you get the "work shock" and or best place/price in Canada to order one?. Is getting an aftermarket shock better or should I order one from Yamaha? Thanks Dave

Hi, Dave.

I replaced the shock on my 03 Midnight with the Hagon about 3 years ago and have had zero problems since.

It has no air adjust and, as I recall, you have to take a "guess" at what the mechanical preload adjustment should be BEFORE you install it. I did that, and have found no problems with changes in load (luggage.....passenger, etc).

It's like Mac vs PC, though; everybody's got an opinion.

The Hagon was a few hundred less $ when I bought it.

Replacement was a snap.

Lemme know if you need any more info......or want to call. I'd be happy to come over and do a little hand-holding, too, if you're not totally confident about doing the install.

Regards,

Mike.

Michael, first I want to thank you for taking the time to write me back and giving help with this. Can I call you Mike? I would love to get a Hagon and also if you are available to help me put it in that would be great. Let me know where I can get a Hagon and then take it from there. Thanks again for all the help and info I really do appreciate it very much. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know nothing about the rear shock.... so far.., but wonder?? Can the mono shock off a 1stGen fit a 2ndGen? The first gen shock never seems to fail, and they can be found cheap on the net. It would save folks a bunch of $ if they could be used... Another thing is the 1st will pump up to 71psi while in the manual I think the 2nd is recommended to be max at 45psi. Just curious??

Michael, first I want to thank you for taking the time to write me back and giving help with this. Can I call you Mike? I would love to get a Hagon and also if you are available to help me put it in that would be great. Let me know where I can get a Hagon and then take it from there. Thanks again for all the help and info I really do appreciate it very much. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, no problem, buddy; that's why the site exists!

Here's the link to the Hagon folks. Give them a shout. They'll tell you exactly which models you can chose from. (I'm a cheap bugger so I opted for the less fancy...non-remote-control one).

http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/index.htm

They don't always have everything in stock, but production turns them around pretty fast, and as I recall, I had mine at my doorstep in about 10 days.

Lemme know how you make out talking to them. (Don't forget the time zone difference when you call them!)

Michael