IGNORED

Tri-wing trike questions

Yamapa

Hi all,

Have been reading the posts and hope you trikers can give me some info. Recently went from my '02 RSV to a '06 with a Tri-wing conversion. Fine, except it handles real heavy in the curves and tight turns. A bigger issue is the jerking of the bars on bumps at low speed. Seems to wobble and torque the handlebars when the rear hits a bump or rut. I know a rake job will help the highway steering, but will it cure the low speed jerking? I think the set up is o.k., P235/60R15 Goodrich radials on back and the smaller Avon MT90B16 on front. Run the rear airbags at 30 psi solo and 40 with passenger along with oem monoshock the same, as all hooked up to an onboard compressor. Appreciate any advice. Mark

tires around 20 right, you have a straight axle not a indepentant suspenstion I think both of them give it a rougher ride. is your steering head bearing tight, I like mine, but will rake it over winter to improve things.

Hi all,

Have been reading the posts and hope you trikers can give me some info. Recently went from my '02 RSV to a '06 with a Tri-wing conversion. Fine, except it handles real heavy in the curves and tight turns. A bigger issue is the jerking of the bars on bumps at low speed. Seems to wobble and torque the handlebars when the rear hits a bump or rut. I know a rake job will help the highway steering, but will it cure the low speed jerking? I think the set up is o.k., P235/60R15 Goodrich radials on back and the smaller Avon MT90B16 on front. Run the rear airbags at 30 psi solo and 40 with passenger along with oem monoshock the same, as all hooked up to an onboard compressor. Appreciate any advice. Mark

Hi Mark. Deffineately a raked tree is the way to go as to head shake and much easier steering. One thing to do is tighten the steering head bearings. Torque the steering bearing nut to 25 ft lbs instead of using Yamaha's recommended specs. That alone will help a lot thou not a total cure. You'll find with more experience to just let the wheel do it's thing instead of fighting it. The trike will still want to go straight. On your tire pressures that's way too much . Most trike companies recommend 18 to 25 psi. I run mine at 20 -22 depending whether I'm riding solo or two up and loaded for trips. The air bags I use 16-18 psi but I have a Works shock so in your case you may need more but I hardly think you need more then 20-24psi. Your oem shock will most likely still require the normal pressures. Anyhow try lightening up on the air pressures and you'll find a much smoother ride.

Larry

Lower air in the rears, and a rake kit for sure, I rode mine a week before I tore it down to repaint with out the rake, and what a headache to steer, but I am use to the rake on the GW Trike too. Tighten the head bearings too,that will help some also and loosen the grip a little like mentioned before.

Thanks everybody. Will try lower tire pressures. Seems if I don't run the rear air bags at at least 30 psi I bottom out, but that may be because of air pressure in tires too high. I may disconnect the monoshock from the rest of the system, and hand pump the pressure lower also. Mark

Hey Mark, I had the same trouble with mine to start. I run 25 lbs. in the front tire and 30 in the rear. I have progressive springs in the front forks and only run 6 lbs. in them. I still run 35 pounds in the rear shock when I ride alone and 35 when I have a passenger. I also removed the plastic bushing from the bearing in the steering and replaced it with an aluminum one that I made that was the same size. I jacked up the front and tightened down the bearing and pushed the front tire and wheel against the stop, until through trial and error I got it just right without feeling to tight. Now I can go down the road at any speed and let go of the steering without fear of shaking or any other problems.

• 11 months later...
tires around 20 right, you have a straight axle not a indepentant suspenstion I think both of them give it a rougher ride. is your steering head bearing tight, I like mine, but will rake it over winter to improve things.

Hi Jonesy..Names Carl..I have a t/w kit and was wondering if anyone has come up with a side cover plate set up for the void area between kit and bike? THANKS FOR ANY INFO. CARL...

Hi Jonesy..Names Carl..I have a t/w kit and was wondering if anyone has come up with a side cover plate set up for the void area between kit and bike? THANKS FOR ANY INFO. CARL...

Like you I wasn't too fond of the gaps between the bikes framing and the hits framing. What I did was cut sheet metal to follow the curved part on the bike and attached that to the angled bar that runs up to the upper rear frame of the kit, I welded it in place on that angled bar, This blocks out the drive shaft / swing arm parts. Did that on both sides.

The next step was doing the same form the area behind the flat support plates of the kit. The sheet metal was welded to the back side of thr plate. It comes up on an angle then bent to a more level spot. I think I left about a 1/4" gap between the support plate sheetmetal and the bikes fender & strut. I'll see about getting pics later. Both side were done up the same with the right side also having the air valve for the air bags there as well.

Larry

On another note when I cut out the fender and frame requirements for the front of the body I kept a 1/4" gap following the fenders outline. Makes a tight neat fit but for sure more work getting it right.

• 1 year later...