IGNORED

Steering stem Nut

Hulk

Good evening all, went out for a late night rip after getting the steering re-packed , sooooo out and about kept on hearing this "thumping" sound from the steering head area, when I hit a bump, concerned turned the bike around and got her home, jacked her up, checked all the usuals, when I found my Steering stem Nut loose:mad:...... and i mean LOOOSE, tightened it up with a pair of vice grips, steering is still nimble so i figure that was it, QUESTION: did I miss something else to check or should I beat my mechanic when I call him in the morning? not that i actually would but seriously thinking about it....

:Avatars_Gee_George:

Below is a partial description of what the Vmax guys do to set their steering head bearings. This is known as the "Furbur Fix"

A link is also given to the complete website.

Information shown as reference only, use at your own discretion. Also it requires getting front wheel of off the ground, may be difficult for the 2nd gen's unless you have a jack.

At this point, I am out of the steering head wrenchs I was selling, otherwise there would be a shameless plug to sell you one.

http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/furbur.htm

Adjusting the first nutTighten the first nut either with the proper Yamaha tool or make a tool like the picture below. (no picture here) A torque setting of 10 ft. lbs. usually works well. It is best to torque the nut to about 35 lbs. first, back off and retighten to the 10 ft. lb. setting. Disregard the manual torque settings.

If no wrench or tool is available, sit at the back of the seat to get the front wheel off the ground. Check how freely the steering moves, allowing it to "fall" against each end stop. It will probably fall easily and "bounce" a couple of times off the end stop. tighten with a flat blade screwdriver and wooden mallet (as in this pic) until you can repeat the above test and get things tightened up just enough to eliminate the bounce.

Gary