IGNORED

Headwraps / Doo-rags; what's best?

50btripn

Tried to search for this already, and didn't find any threads on this subject, so forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.

Headwraps / doo-rags

I am finding in my old-er age, and in this VERY hot southern Alabama summer, that I am sweating a lot more under the helmet. I am typically outdoors 6-8 hours on my ride in the heat of the day (yes, I am drinking plenty of fluids). I have never been one to wear any type of headwrap before, but I am finding I need something to soak up a good portion of sweat. I can literally lean over and it looks like a waterfall of sweat pouring out of my helmet.

So my prerequisites are: 1) soak up sweat, and 2) keep head somewhat cooler.

So what do you prefer / suggest? Will the basic cotton work? Or would I have to keep 2-3 in my bags to wear each day as one gets "full"? What do you think of the Dupont CoolMax products? Any specific brand, vendor, website you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

I'll be very interested to read some responses.

I've worn a few and the problem I have with some of them, are the seams used in sewing them together. Being bald, the seams leave nice indents in my head after removing!

I wore one the other day with USMC embroidery on the front and after removing, I had USMC across my forehead, nice look.

I was thinking something along the lines of what you see some of the black guys wearing, kinda made out of silk, or something really soft, no seams...

Guest scarylarry
Tried to search for this already, and didn't find any threads on this subject, so forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.

Headwraps / doo-rags

I am finding in my old-er age, and in this VERY hot southern Alabama summer, that I am sweating a lot more under the helmet. I am typically outdoors 6-8 hours on my ride in the heat of the day (yes, I am drinking plenty of fluids). I have never been one to wear any type of headwrap before, but I am finding I need something to soak up a good portion of sweat. I can literally lean over and it looks like a waterfall of sweat pouring out of my helmet.

So my prerequisites are: 1) soak up sweat, and 2) keep head somewhat cooler.

So what do you prefer / suggest? Will the basic cotton work? Or would I have to keep 2-3 in my bags to wear each day as one gets "full"? What do you think of the Dupont CoolMax products? Any specific brand, vendor, website you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Move to a cooler climate,:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: which I'm considering.. I know what you are going thru.

There is no savior of head wraps to me and I own a closet full and they are the same..

As an alternative, what helmets have more ventilation?????

Have you been out riding in the past weeks? The 90 to 104 degree days have been killers! The air blowing at me while I'm driving 70 mph on Rte64 has felt like the air rushing out of an oven. No ventilated helmet will take care of that unless it has an AC built in. The sweat runs out of the helmet & just drips off the back of my neck.

That's what we need... an Air Conditioned helmet.

JohnB

:backinmyday:30-years ago when I was stationed in Texas we would stop at a gas station and soak ourselves with their water hose, fill our helmets with water and then put them on and ride. We would repeat this ritual every 60-90 minutes depending upon the heat, length of the ride, and water availablity. We were normally bone dry and begining to sweat again in 90-minutes.

Of course back then I didn't have speakers in my helmet or wear eye glasses... :Venture:

Move to a cooler climate,:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: which I'm considering..

I moved from New York down here because, being such a motorcycling junkie, I wanted to be able to ride year round, not 6 months a year.

As an alternative, what helmets have more ventilation?????

I have a Shoei half helmet...bout the only way to get more ventilation out of that is to just cut the top off...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Check out the ventureriders .org head wraps in the VR STORE....I have them in stock. Three different designs. ALL HAVE THE CLUB LOGO :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

I have a bunch of Doo-rags including some of Tom's. I'm actually more comfortable with these on in hot days. I certainly don't want to sweat all over my helmet lining.

Avoid the kind with the long tails. The wind will whip them around and smack you on the cheek. Yes, I know this by experience. :o

Check out the ventureriders .org head wraps in the VR STORE....I have them in stock. Three different designs. ALL HAVE THE CLUB LOGO :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

My heads to pretty to cover with any thing - - - - - - - - - -except a ventureriders.org

head wrap (shameless plug for my good buddy).

:big-grin-emoticon:

I'll be very interested to read some responses.

I've worn a few and the problem I have with some of them, are the seams used in sewing them together. Being bald, the seams leave nice indents in my head after removing!

I wore one the other day with USMC embroidery on the front and after removing, I had USMC across my forehead, nice look.

I was thinking something along the lines of what you see some of the black guys wearing, kinda made out of silk, or something really soft, no seams...

I wore what you are talking about got them here http://www.skullcapcity.bigstep.com/generic98.html

I liked them because they don't have seam, and they are cooler than a normal do rag. Do not know if they would absorm sweat, but I dunked them in my cooler on long trips, wring it out and it kept my head cool a long time.

Ding, ding, ding! Bingo, we have a winner! Thanks Roadkill.

However, your URL was incorrect, I fixed it below:

"I wore what you are talking about got them here" http://www.skullcapcity.com/solid-black-skull-caps.html

I think that's exactly what I was thinking about, even show's the "brothers" modeling them, perfect.

Might have to purchase a few different varieties, to see which is best.........but I think I'll steer away from the rasta weave.:big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks to all for head cap/bandana info...

With all the 90+ days I have been riding in Virginia, I decided to get a type which was multi-layer & sweat wicking.

I bought 2 SweatVac Stubby Cycling Bandanas...

• DriSmart™ shell with Transpor™ liner
  • Perfect under-the-helmet sweat management tool with sleek 'stubby' tail
  • Extremely Comfortable - No Itch
  • Dries 4 times faster than cotton
  • UPF 40+
  • Machine Washable
  • Made in the USA
  • Grey color for both (to hide dirt?)
  • $31.13 for both delivered to my door

SweatVac® products are engineered and designed using a unique blend of the finest technical fabrics. The SweatVac® System is a multi-layer system which places Transpor® fabric against your skin and wicking layers on the outside.

http://www.sweatvac.com/images/TranMoisDiagColor_thumb.jpgTranspor® fabrics are hydrophobic. They simply hate water and are 11 times more effective than any other product. As the graphic shows, our multi-layer technology channels vapor and moisture away from your skin and into the outer wicking layers, where they quickly evaporate.

Unlike other headwear, the material that touches your skin stays dry and comfortable – never soggy or clammy.

...bought through Amazon.com

JohnB