IGNORED

Speedometer glitch

karlos

Had a problem start this year. When I hit a bump the speedometer needle would shake a little. While on my long trip it got worse, sometimes to the point where it would drop right to zero, then come back when I hit another bump. This also takes out the odometer and the cruise control. I have removed the fairing and lowers and checked all wiring since it seemed it was when the front hit a bump the problem occurred. I also took all the connectors apart, checked them and put back together. Still same. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Have you had any problems with the bike not wanting to start? There is a set of contacts in the ignition switch that can fail and cause the dash to do out but usually the bike won't start either. The RSV is sort of known to have switch failures though.

Had a problem start this year. When I hit a bump the speedometer needle would shake a little. While on my long trip it got worse, sometimes to the point where it would drop right to zero, then come back when I hit another bump. This also takes out the odometer and the cruise control. I have removed the fairing and lowers and checked all wiring since it seemed it was when the front hit a bump the problem occurred. I also took all the connectors apart, checked them and put back together. Still same. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

What kind of bike is this?

When you say it 'takes out the odometer and the cruise control' do you mean that the odometer turns off, stops counting, trip odometers reset to 0, or what?

Squeeze's notion of the speed sensor sounds reasonable. I'd also check for loose connections to ground.

Sounds a bit like a Sensor or Sensor Signal Problem. The Sensor is located in the final Drive. You might check the Wire and the respective Connectors first.

Since you've already checked all the connections under the fairing, checking the sensor at the final drive and working your way forward sounds like a good next step. Is it possible something might have come loose when you had the back wheel off for your tire change?? Just a thought.