IGNORED

leveling links & shock failer

I'm getting ready to make some leveling links and got to thinking about the reports of the shock going bad.

Has anyone had the links on when it failed?

Did Yamaha have any issues covering the shock under warranty?

Maybe I should put the stock links back on before sending it to the shop if/when the shock fails?

there is always concern about user modifications being blamed as reason for declined warranty work. knowing your dealer is a key as to what you can get by with. to keep things legit, you may want to have stock equipment on the bike when bringing in for warranty work. that way, there is no questions. when fixed, go back to your mods.

I'm getting ready to make some leveling links and got to thinking about the reports of the shock going bad.

Maybe I should put the stock links back on before sending it to the shop if/when the shock fails?

Shocks are covered under warranty.. I had no issues getting my bike done..

I doubt the techs would even notice the leveling links.. they are not that much different looking and so few Yamy techs ever work on a RSV to start with, they wouldn't know what they were looking at anyway.. you'd most likely have to show them where the shock is on the bike.. hence why I go to Maine to get my work done, and I live in Nova Scotia.. ;)

• 1 month later...

I had the aftermarket leveling lings on when my rear shock went out. Two places in NC that I took it to never said a word about it. Of course they thought that the shock was fine and wouldn't do the warranty work on it. Come to find out they didn't even know what the bike was and they were "afraid they would get stuck with the bill if the shock wasn't really the problem when they sent it to Yamaha". When I got back to CA I took it to the local dealer and they know this bike very well. Didn't even blink at replacing the shock and never mentioned the leveling link.

I think you will find it a non-issue.

I've had the shock fail twice with the leveling links on the bike and LL on or off I did not notice any difference to be honest.. it handles like shyte either way. I wouldn't bother removing the leveling links if your shock is dead.. To be honest I don't think I would have noticed except of doing the bounce test that I realized my shock was dead..

Yamaha did replace the shock but as luck would have it, the bike is now out of warranty.. sigh..

I have had two failures and no leveling links on either bike.