IGNORED

8 or 12 inch tires on trailer?

bj66

I am thinking of building a trailer to pull behind the bike. I have a cargo box carrier i can use on it, so i just have to build the frame. I am leaning towards buying a Harbor Freight trailer to use. I just cant build the trailer cheaper than buying it. My question is, should i buy the lighter duty trailer with the 8 inch wheels, or the heavier trailer with the 12 inchers. I can take springs out of the heavier etc. to help the ride if i have to. Wouldnt 12 inch tire be better?

Just checked Harbor Freight Summer Blowout Catalog. The 12 inch wheel trailer is listed at 239.99 on the internet, with 179.99 for 8 inch wheel. The catalog shows the 12 inch wheel on sale for 199.99. The 8 inch is still 179.99. I called Harbor Freight over the phone and they said 199.99 was correct, so for 20 bucks difference, i ordered the heavier trailer with bigger wheels. I plan on fitting it to my carrier anyway. So I can drop a spring if I have to to improve ride. So with 13 bucks shipping to my door it is a no brainer. Looks like im going to have a trailer soon. By the way I checked on the complete package with the carrier etc. shipping is an extra 90 bucks on that little devil. So if you have the tools and welder etc. order the trailer, go to sears and pick up a carrier for 100 bucks modify the trailer, and you will still be about 120 bucks ahead. 330 plus 103 shipping to my door is 433 bucks. 199.99 plus 13 bucks is 213 bucks to my door. plus a 100 dollar sears carrier is 313. I am still 120 ahead. Even More than that actually, cause I have the carrier already. Looks like I might have to go to Sturgis yet this year if I get my butt in gear. Have an excuse to get a trailer done now. :whistling:

I have built several of the HF trailers with car toppers on them. Hazenson has one of the last ones I built and he matched the color to his Millennium. They are reasonably inexpensive and pull great. Just remember when you assemble the trailer to make sure it's square and especially the fwd part of the tongue is equal distance from both outside points of the axle. This will help it track strait and true

:thumbsup2:

thanks for the info. I think im gonna look for some xtra motorcycle turn signals and mount them on the trailer instead of tail lights. Gotta figure out how to make them stop and turn signals. Then I can use the same beehive lens covers that are on my bike. That and the same color match as my rstd should look pretty cool.

Eithers fine. I have the 8", bought the kit from harbor freight, it has over 15,000 on it, still has the original tires with no signs of wear. I grease the bearings each spring. The only thing I did was take 10" out of the width, so if the bike makes it though so will the trailer.

Guest oldroadstar
Eithers fine. I have the 8", bought the kit from harbor freight, it has over 15,000 on it, still has the original tires with no signs of wear. I grease the bearings each spring. The only thing I did was take 10" out of the width, so if the bike makes it though so will the trailer.

Yammy, would you mind explaining how you took the 10" out of the width, including what you did to the axle - cut it out of the middle; a little from each side; magic?

Yammy, would you mind explaining how you took the 10" out of the width, including what you did to the axle - cut it out of the middle; a little from each side; magic?

I cut the axle in half and welded a piece of square tubing (about 8" long) in the channel for support. Can't remember if it was 1" or 1 1/4".

There's 3 pieces for the wideth I took 10" off one end of each, then redrilled the holes using the cut off pieces as a template.

I also removed the 2nd leaf spring, its way overkill for the trailer

If needed I can take some pictures. Hope this helps.