IGNORED

I'm QUITTING!

SilvrT

Good luck. I tried the patch way back when. Didn't work. Finally spent 35 bucks back in 91 ( had smoked since 72) and went to one of those mass hypnosis things one night. Walked out, threw away the pack I had (2.5 a day) and never had the desire again. Best 35 bucks I ever spent.

:sign yeah that:

I started smoking when I was 11. Not a lot, just a few a day, but we all know where that went! At one point I was at 2 packs a day! I quit a few times in the next 41 years. Even made it for a year once! But I always wanted another cigarette; knew how good that next cigarette would taste; I always felt like smoker that wasn't smoking.

Then on 03-05-05, just like Buddy, I went to a group hypnosis ($40 bucks now...inflation:confused24:). I too threw out my pack and haven't wanted one since. The important thing is that I not only don't feel like a smoker, I don't even feel like I was a smoker! (weird, huh?)

The hypnotist regressed me to before I smoked, then had me light a cigarette and take a drag. IT HURT! And it tasted really bad. For the next few days I would bum a hit off someone's cig and try to inhale it and I couldn't, it hurt to much, tasted nasty and made me cough a lot. After a few months I started smoking cigars but, again, I can't inhale them because it hurts and makes me cough. Even when by accident, like the wind changing or something, I can't take it.

Good Luck!!!

Oh, and another helper, but almost as addictive as cigarettes.............Altoids Gum! It's the crack of the gum world!:rotf:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to you on quitting. When I quit, there was no patches, pills, etc. But I just decided one day that enough was enough. When I resolved myself mentally to quitting, the rest was tough but I had that determination going for me, which I think, made it somewhat easier. Come up with some mental thing to focus on when you have the urge to light one up. For me, I used the passion of flying and would go the the mental process of setting up for landing and go through the whole procedure. The minute or so it took diverted the mental desire for a smoke. It helped tremendously. Each time I did this, it made the next time a little easier to overcome.

Best of luck!!:clap2::thumbsup:

Quiting is how I got my RSV. I had wanted a new bike (had an '85 Wing) for some time. The war dept (my kindly wife) and I came to an agreement.......6 months smoke free, honestly smoke free, and she'd at least give her blessing for the new bike. That was September 2003. Spring '04 I got the brand spanking new RSV. I've really enjoyed being smoke free since. Even our bars, before the state went smoke free, were smoke free. You could go out and not come home smelling like an ashtray. No offense here, but I never realized how much I smelled when I was a smoker. That's one of biggest things I've noticed. Good luck! Hard work, determination, and an obvious life long reward are your for the taking!!!!

Ol' Erns

More power to you! But don't baby yourself:no-no-no:

I smoked for more years than I care to discuss, and I do mean smoked-up to 3 packs per day . And then 12 years ago my wife got breast cancer and the surgeon told her he would not operate on her until at least one week after she stopped smoking because she would not heal as well otherwise.

She quit that day, and so did I in solidarity.

Unfortunately she only lived for another 7 years.

I, however, havent touched a smoke of any sort since that day. And the honest truth is that only the first week was difficult. Then my nose cleared up I began smelling things and quit wheezing and I have never missed it since. No gum, no pills, no patches. Just plain and simple cold-turkey. It realy is the only thing that truly works. The moment you sense that you have regained control over your life - you will feel not just free, but truly empowered.

I know it sounds like a rant, but what can I do, I feel very strongly about this.:confused24:

I

I'm quitting smoking!

Anyone out there gone through this?

Any comments / suggestions / or just plain old "communicating" about it you'd like to post?

I quit 4 years ago after 37 years of smoking...You will feel a whole heck of a lot better, your sence of smell will increase and you will hate the smell of ciggarettes...

I never realized how much a smoking persons clothing really smells until I quit. yuk.......

Good luck...I wish you the best..

I quit smoking cold turkey... hell, I never knew which end to light...:rotf:

I quit over 10 years ago, didn't have much problems with quiting, of course being told that I probably wont see my next birthday becouse I had lung cancer helped. Had a good share of my right lung removed, then went through kemo and radiation at the same time and was still told that I wouldn't be around much longer helped me decide that smoking isn't worth it. Quite know matter what or some day you will have to quit becouse of them, maybe in your grave. I wish you the best.

Hang in there, you will realize that quitting was the best thing to do.

I hung 'em up back in 1976 after my son crawled up on my lap and said"daddy you stink like a cigarette". Haven't touched one since,now if I could just get my weight under control.

Oh yeah, back then they were only 35 cents a pack. Today you can really save some money quitting.:080402gudl_prv:

Just started praying for you...I know how hard it is to quit...just hang in there...even if you have a set back you can do it and once you do you will be glad you did. I picked up the habit while in the military and quit a few years later after I got an abscessed tonsil. Hang in there...I'm pulling for ya!

I was a 3 pack a day smoker for 20 years, then I cold turkey'd the habit 20 years ago. There are two habits you have to beat if you want to stop smoking. One is the oral habit...like sucking your thumb.... and the other is the chemical addiction. Nicotine. All the patches are going to do is help you get rid of the oral habit. The patch is still feeding nicotine into your system. That's why once you've beaten the oral and get off the patch so many 'ex-smokers' climb back on the wagon and start up again. They're still addicted to the nicotine. It takes a lot of will power to just quit... You have to have the conviction that you ARE quiting and just do it. Otherwise your kidding yourself. Save your patch money and go buy another pack of nails. If you do commit, the first 2-3 weeks are the roughest. The first couple of days you'll wash all the windows, mow the lawn, do the dishes, and just about every other chore you can find because of all the energy you'll have. You'll also stuff anything you can into your mouth....the oral thing. But once you get buy the first couple of weeks this should taper off. Just be prepared to go though hell for a couple of weeks. You'll be glad you did. You'll save a ton of money, food will taste better, you can smell the roses again, and eventually you'll find you can't stand to be around a cigarette. It'll take your breath away....

15 years ago, I was smokiing 2 packs a day. My wife a pack or more. We had infant twins. One Friday night one of the kids was coughing. We said, "We really should quit." We chain smoked the last of our cigs that night and never looked back. I had tried several times. I personally don't think setting a date works. It puts too much pressure on as you get closer to that date. Smoke the last of 'em and be done with it! We're sure glad we did!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I know this is a forum for topics related to motorcycles -but- seems there's a lot more of just plain old "communication" going on as well so.....

I'm quitting smoking! I have set a "butt out" date of next Tuesday. I am on the pills (there's a new product out now) and I've reduced my smoking from a pack a day to less than 1/2 pack a day within 2 weeks.

Anyone out there gone through this or going through this? Any comments / suggestions / or just plain old "communicating" about it you'd like to post?

Good luck to you. And plenty of "won't" power.

The only thing you can do that is better for you than that is to keep your weight in the normal range with exercise.

I doubt I'll have any issues with that. I'm a "small boned" person with a high metabolism. I've nver weighed more than 165 in my entire life and generally have been at 150-155 since I was in my teens. When I got to 165, I was 35, working in a sawmill piling green lumber and eating like 2 horses plus, I was working out regularly.

Been on the pills for 29 days now.....after 4th day it was more "pacifier" something to do habit that nicotine.....Pill "BLOCKS" brain from wanting nicotine....

HAVE NOT had a desire to smoke....two weeks ago set outside of Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge (Deals Gap area) with four other bikers who were smoking..

NO DESIRE...Man really...wife is nurse and four people who work with her used the pills and have not smoked since...

Workin for me really well....IT WILL do the same for you...

George in VA...

You're on the new pill called Champix? That's what I'm taking.

What pills are you guys taking? My doc suggested it at my 50 yr checkup in August, me & him ain't seen eye to eye for 20 years now (cause of my smoking), till he started riding a bike and we got to talkin about that (a Shadow, so I guess he's ridin). I'm really leaning towards "starting living smoke free" (Freebird:whistling:), been smokin since I was 18. Thanks guys (& gals).

Dan

There's a new drug out now called Champix. From all I've heard, it's pretty good. I did the zyban (not sure if that's correct spelling) the last time. These 2 drugs are totally different. The key is and it's evident in all the post in here, is you have to set your mind to it and be determined. You have to see yourself as a non-smoker. It's really a mind over matter thing. The drugs, the patch, the support groups, they are all there to help but if you haven't set your mind to it, it won't work.

I was a three pack a day smoker and quit cold turkey. YOU CAN DO IT.

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Send me a PM and I will call you or you can call me if you need encouragement. I will help anyway I can.

WOW!! thanks!! the support in here is awesome!!

More power to you! But don't baby yourself:no-no-no:

I smoked for more years than I care to discuss, and I do mean smoked-up to 3 packs per day . And then 12 years ago my wife got breast cancer and the surgeon told her he would not operate on her until at least one week after she stopped smoking because she would not heal as well otherwise.

She quit that day, and so did I in solidarity.

Unfortunately she only lived for another 7 years.

I, however, havent touched a smoke of any sort since that day. And the honest truth is that only the first week was difficult. Then my nose cleared up I began smelling things and quit wheezing and I have never missed it since. No gum, no pills, no patches. Just plain and simple cold-turkey. It realy is the only thing that truly works. The moment you sense that you have regained control over your life - you will feel not just free, but truly empowered.

I know it sounds like a rant, but what can I do, I feel very strongly about this.:confused24:

I'd been noticing that my wife's energy levels had been quite low for a couple month's and she'd often feel sick. Between myself and her daughter we convinced her to go see the doc. She didn't realize just how bad it was. Anyway, seems her blood pressure was very high...dangerous even. The doc told her to quit smoking NOW! ... She didn't smoke a lot to begin with but like you, in solidarity, I decided I would quit also. Not just in solidarity for her but for me as well as I knew it was something I HAD TO DO sooner or later. Now is the time.

So sorry for your loss Alex. this thing with my wife scared the crap outta me.

I personally don't think setting a date works. It puts too much pressure on as you get closer to that date. Smoke the last of 'em and be done with it! We're sure glad we did!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Frankly, I'm kinda leaning this way now. It's almost liike I'm forcing myself to smoke now just to keep going on my "plan" to end it on "butt out" day.