IGNORED

Yamaha 950 Tourer

Eugene

Hello everyone

Has anyone ridden or bought this beastie? My main question is - does it have the same "chirp/whine/noise" as the Venture?

I'm thinking of this as a second bike but I really don't want any more Yammy noises!!!

ps - somewhat difficult around here to get a test ride.

I wouldn't necessarily equate belt drive to quieter than a shaft.

Some belt driven MCs have been known to have noisy belts. The 950 is air cooled, and air cooled engines are generally noisier than water cooled, in my experience.

So you need to try it for yourself to see if its what you want.

You might keep an eye on the Yamaha Demo Days schedule (even in the US) to see if there is one that you could easily get to, to try one if your dealers won't let you ride.

Uhhh, guys... the chirp and much of the whine comes from the clutch on our bikes, not the shaft drive. The rear drive does add a little to the noise but it's probably the least noisy part.

I've had a chance to ride my BIL's V-Star 1300 which mechanically is close to the 950. Very noisy! It was actually louder than my RSV but my bike is not that noisy. Something else I noticed. I was trying to do a friction zone turn and it was impossible the way the clutch was intermittently grabbing. You couldn't even ride at any kind of slow speed with the clutch engaged. I hope it isn't a common 950/1300 issue.

I have a first year 07 V Star 1300, and I dont find it any noisier than my Venture, sure it has some noises, but what bike doesn't. and as for the friction zone, I have no problem finding it and using it, maybe his clutch needed adjustment..................:2cents::2cents:

I've had a chance to ride my BIL's V-Star 1300 which mechanically is close to the 950. Very noisy! It was actually louder than my RSV but my bike is not that noisy. Something else I noticed. I was trying to do a friction zone turn and it was impossible the way the clutch was intermittently grabbing. You couldn't even ride at any kind of slow speed with the clutch engaged. I hope it isn't a common 950/1300 issue.

I have a first year 07 V Star 1300, and I dont find it any noisier than my Venture, sure it has some noises, but what bike doesn't. and as for the friction zone, I have no problem finding it and using it, maybe his clutch needed adjustment..................:2cents::2cents:

I tend to think the same. I did suggest that he take it in to be checked out. But it was noisy! LoL Maybe they are like the Ventures; some worse than others.

Thanks again for all the replies. I really do not need another noisy bike. I rode a Dyna and although it really shook at idle, it was pretty quiet as was the Kawi 900. The dealer here has to order the 950 and they will let me ride it first - just hate to have them do all this and then turn it down but I will if its as noisy as the RSTD.

Hey - maybe a scooter???

Thanks again for all the replies. I really do not need another noisy bike. I rode a Dyna and although it really shook at idle, it was pretty quiet as was the Kawi 900. The dealer here has to order the 950 and they will let me ride it first - just hate to have them do all this and then turn it down but I will if its as noisy as the RSTD.

Hey - maybe a scooter???

There ya go! Get yourself a Yamaha T-Max. I've actually heard of them outrunning H-D's! :Laugh:

Not to take anything away from a Yammie, but I have some friends with 800 size Kawi Vulcans and they are an impressive bike. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to grab one if I was in the market for that size bike.

Keep in mind Lew that he is comparing a 2nd gen and you are a 1st gen.

RandyA