IGNORED

Traded the 83 venture

I have no ideal how or why this happened but a friend and I were just talking about our bikes and stuff and anyway to make a long story short I ended up trading my 83 venture for a 1987 venture royal. It does need a little work on the fairing parts but I figure ill do that this winter as a garage project. It actually runs good, all the gauges work and the compressor works etc. The only real bad thing is the rear tire wont hold air. it is a brand new tire, still has the tits on it, but it sat for a year and I have a feeling something is between the outer rim and tire. I just cant wait. Should have pics by this weekend.

Can you all tell me of any bad "traits" of the 87 and also how does the 1200 compare to the 1300 on the open road?

thanks for any info

Hey Karl,

Congratulations on your new to you 87'VR! Having one myself, I think they are the best of the MKII First Gens. Get That puppy up on the center stand and get that rear tire off, air it up, and ease her into the bath tub so you can figure out where the leak is. Heck, it might be as simple as a bad valve stem. Do you have the Gold and Cream or the Elegant Brown and Birch Brown? I think the MKII 87'VR rolls down the hiway just fine. You have more storage room then the MKI 83' to 85' VR's. All of the First Gen. bikes get a little "sloppy" in the front end due to worn out front fork springs and steering head bearings that are out of adjustment but these items can be easily addressed. When ever I get a new, used bike, I like to do a tune up, an oil change, air and fuel filter change, clutch and brake fluid change, just so I know where I stand. Then I start to address any problems like tires, brakes, shaky front ends, etc.

If you have questions or need parts, please feel free to PM me, I have a few extras.

Earl

LEFT SIDE LOUVER.jpg

RT. SIDE LOUVER 2.jpg

Yah! I'm thinking the valve stem needs to be replaced as it is a common problem. The rubber seal where it mounts into the rim gets dry rotted and won't seal any more.

The 1200 is slightly faster than the 1300 by a few milliseconds...

I'll be checking out that stem this weekend and try to get it home so I can relax in my own backyard and change fluids etc...

I think the color of this one is the birch/brown combo. I say "I think" because I have seen the bike before but in a garage where the lighting wasnt quite great.

Let you all know how it goes and get pics this weekend.

Always exicited to get a "New" one!!! Even if it is one of the slower colors and ain't Blue!!! GOOD LUCK!!!! I bought the 86 because it already had all the "goodies" in place. Then it decided to crap out on me but I'll get it. The later Royales are the way to go if you don't want that faster than lightening 1200!!!

These things do NOT LIKE TO SIT!!!

Hmmm ....

been standing............... yes

tyres flat ..................... yes

tyres been flat a while ....yes

no puncture in tyre ........ yes - er no - whatever.

Well it COULD be a valve, but I'd check something else - corrosion on the rim. If it's been standing and it's been damp at all, then you might have some corrosion if you didn't have it before.

It's easy to check - pump up the tyre - then get one of those spray cans people use for watering plants (or a paintbrush if you don't have one) and fill it with water and washing up liquid (your neighbour will have some if you don't..) and squirt it around the rim, getting it into the lip where the rim and tyre touch. Might as well squirt some around the valve too.

Now - and this is most important. Go and make a cup of tea. A beer is a suitable alternative, but not coke - it will rot your teeth and you'll be exchanging one problem for another. If you see lots of bubbles around the rim, corrosion is preventing it from seating properly. People have recommended techie solutions, but the only effective one (imho) is to remove the tyre and polish the rim with a well lubricated fine sanding block. Just using rim sealant/lubricant when you fit the tyre will not solve it. I've found you have to do it yourself as your average tyre fitter won't see the value.

If there are no bubbles then the problem is elsewhere - go round the tyre and check there's no puncture after all. And finish off that cup of tea/beer.

Air it up, bleed off a couple of times, and let it sit for a few days, and re-check the pressure.

If OK, put in a bottle of " Ride - On " and you should be good to go.

If you do pull the wheel, be sure to pull the drive shaft and greese the splines !! and of course the rear drive unit.

my buddy is going to trailer it home for me then I am going to get it on center stand and start into it.

when i first started it where it sits now it was kind of sluggish (carbs) luckily they cleared up.. the bike only sat a year or less without being ran. But I am going to (as others have already suggested) replace all fluids, lube everything I possible can and then let the wind hit it hard... in the windshield.

my buddy is going to trailer it home for me then I am going to get it on center stand and start into it.

when i first started it where it sits now it was kind of sluggish (carbs) luckily they cleared up.. the bike only sat a year or less without being ran. But I am going to (as others have already suggested) replace all fluids, lube everything I possible can and then let the wind hit it hard... in the windshield.

I think you got the right plan. A can of Sea-Foam with that 1st tank on the road could help a lot.